Best Answer

Self-registration and SSO

We are thinking of switching to self-registration. Currently our users are either manually added (external users) or their accounts are automatically created via SSO. We use Active Directory as the basis for OKTA, our SSO platform, and our IT dept. does not update as frequently as we would like. It also does not have all of the fields we need including branch. Switching to self-registration would eliminate the manual entry for external customers and assign branch and  current info.

Does any one have experience with this? I am assuming an account created via self-registration (using the SSO password) would be able to log in via SSO subsequently. Any advice or best practices would be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by KMallette 20 May 2022, 20:59

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

We do it now with SSO and will be moving to Okta in a couple of weeks.

We also do self-registration

To do SSO via SAML, you do have to define a field in the AD that is recognized in the SAML configuration as defining the branch where the learner’s account is created. Something like this:

The AD contains the data in the AMExtension field and that matches the branch code where the learner needs to be.

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks. I didn’t know this despite the fact that I’ve asked our IT dept about this several times. This could resolve our internal user issue. Although we only have 1 portal, so we may still go to self-registration to reduce the work of manually entering customers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I forgot to mention that all SSO/SAML registrations have to start with the AD team.  In other words, the user has to be in the AD with the appropriate branch code-type field before the user tries to log into Docebo the first time. 

You are essentially putting the “registration” process on the IT team. And if they have been slow to respond in the past, you may want to stick to self-registration and all the joys that brings ;-)

KM