Soft Deadlines on courses for some users

• 11 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi! 

Preparing for our soft launch. Our platform will have mostly Product Knowledge training. Users can enroll themselves into courses (or learning plans) and they should not have a deadline for anything self-enrolled.

Other users (either individually or groups) will be assigned training and they need to have a soft deadline (so that they can still access the training after the deadline). 

I was hoping to be able to use Enrollment Rules to add an expiration date for those that need it, but see that is not an option. I’m thinking that for these individuals, I would use “Manage Enrollments via CSV” to set the valid until period. 

One of the issues I see is that the User Enrolled in a Course notification doesn’t differentiate between those who enrolled on their own or those that were enrolled with a due date. Instead of including the due date in the actual notification (which would show up blank if no due date), I have included the following sentence: 

If this course has been assigned to you, you can view the assigned due date under "My Upcoming Due Dates" on the home page of [platform name].

Any other administrators have a similar use case? Would love to hear how others get around this and any other pitfalls I may not have thought of. 

Thanks!

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

That’s pretty much it...short of creating a 2nd course that is “assigned only” that’s about the only way to manage your situation that I can think of.

As for the notification, I think your note makes sense however if you wanted to show it on the email, you could put it on a separate line and indicate something to the effect of…

Course due date, if applicable (if no date is displayed, you may complete the course at your leisure) : [course_expires] 

Not sure if that helps

Userlevel 1

Thank you for the quick response. I was thinking about having a second, hidden course, and setting up equivalencies. Haven’t explored that functionality yet.