Best Answer

Training Material visibility by branch in course

• 24 July 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I need to offer a course across my organization and see that everyone has taken it.

Based on their department, I want to vary the training materials visible by their branch. Is that something I can set up? If not, what is the fastest way to build this to meet the multiple audience need and allow me to aggregate to see who hasn’t taken it?

TIA.

icon

Best answer by KMallette 24 July 2023, 19:02

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@EmilyW_Tacoma What you describe is pretty complex, and there are a variety of approaches you could take. Here’s a couple that come to mind...
If you want to keep everything in a single course, you’ll need to make it one course for each department, adjusting the training materials as needed. You’d need to add that course to a catalog that is assigned to that department’s branch.

You can also build multiple courses, one training material per course, and then build department-specific learning plans, which are again assigned to the department’s branch.

There may be page/menu implications, depending on how the rest of your platform is built.

As for knowing who HASN’T completed the course, the best way is to enroll everyone who needs to take the course, and then build your reporting to show all course statuses. Those who remain in an “enrolled” or “subscribed” status are those who haven’t taken the training.

Many of the topics that I deal with have small variances by audience. Generally what I get from my IDDs are separate training materials by audience, or, a single training material that goes to multiple audiences. But my reporting must always be by audience. I use things like the course title, code, or maybe category, to “associate” those courses to each other to make it easier to find in Course Management in the future. For example, “Topic 1 for Sales Agents”, “Topic 1 for Care Agents”, etc.

Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Considering that each group has different training materials doesn’t t

I need to offer a course across my organization and see that everyone has taken it.

Based on their department, I want to vary the training materials visible by their branch. Is that something I can set up? If not, what is the fastest way to build this to meet the multiple audience need and allow me to aggregate to see who hasn’t taken it?

TIA.

Hi Emily! Considering that each audience requires different training materials I would suggest building separate courses for each audience and then as @KMallette mentioned use your course coding structure to be able to quickly identify these in a spreadsheet.

When it comes to aggregating these results you can just build a custom report that filters for these courses you’ve created. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thank you @kmallette and @pmo. The materials for the literal courses are identical in the sense that I’m teaching them all about Docebo. The difference is the people I want to show up for each session. Looks like I’ll be creating a lot of courses to assign one to each branch.

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@EmilyW_Tacoma Is this part of an ILT course? If so could you give me a little more detail about the difficulties? You could create an ILT course with the same training materials and then have the users choose their session after they’re enrolled (very important to use the notification and course description to nudge users to this behavior.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@EmilyW_Tacoma I agree with @pmo ...It seems like we haven’t really given you the best approach due to the information that you’ve shared so far. Your statement that the “literal courses are identical” makes me think that you might not need lots of courses.

How do you have your dashboards (menu/pages) configured? Are you using a different page for each branch? Are you displaying a learning plans and courses widget? If yes, then you control who sees the course by who you enroll into the course. If they aren’t enrolled, it doesn’t appear on their dashboard.

I’m happy to help via DM if you’d like.