Updating User Base with Correct Data

• 13 March 2024
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello, everyone!

Here I am again, continuing my ever-spiraling descent into the rabbit hole that is the Docebo LMS platform with yet more questions! If I may, I would like to address an issue we are having with keeping our userbase up to date, most especially in regards to keeping branches, direct managers, and Power User permissions/assignments accurate in an automated fashion.

1. Right now from what I can tell it remains true that SSO, whether SAML or OIDC, will not update two fields: Branch, and Direct Manager. According to this thread it shows that at least a year ago it was asserted that due to the fact it’s an “association” that is being edited/altered that there was no intention to institute a change to this process. Does this remain the case? Has there been an updated communication about this from Docebo that I am simply missing?
  2. I’ve seen repeated calls about utilizing APIs and the Automation app (with SFTP) in order to update the aforementioned fields for users. Something I would like to verify here: from my understanding we have a hard cap of 500 api calls per day, and anything that exceeds that would cause a failure to occur. This is specifically one API function, which is why our overnight processes, which update ~10 fields, doesn’t end prematurely, because it’s 8 fields being updated just for every user. In other words it only counts those 8 against that limit. In the instance of using the Automation app I cannot see if there is a limit to this, if the import of data using the Automation App would count towards those calls or not. If it does count, then I’d like to know in what fashion, i.e. if it counts 1 use for pulling all data 1 time, or if it counts as 1 use for every user updated. In the former case this would be ideal, given we could run this ~24 times, one for each hour of the day, and not impede the processes already in place. However, in the latter it wouldn’t be feasible, as we would likely be pulling in over a thousand users a day and that would blow past our limit.
  3. According to this conversation thread another option is to use an API for Batch Update, potentially updating all users in much the same way we’ve been doing with CSVs but just using APIs pulled directly from Azure/Active Directory. My question is if this is still viable, with the same limitations I’ve mentioned above serving as potential points of contention. Again, in other words, I have the came concerns with this approach as with the Automation App, and I would repeat those concerns/questions for this topic as well.

While I have been doing my patent best to peruse all topics on this subject I will be honest that it is becoming more and more difficult to find specific topics in a field of questions and ideas that aren’t ~1 year old, if not older, with little to no response or updates on the subject since close to their original posting date. If anyone here has any insight into the subject, such as exploring how it has been handled by you and/or your companies, I would greatly appreciate hearing about it! As of right now we have a team of 1 admin (myself) running manual updates with CSVs for all our users 3x weekly (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday), which is causing a few troubles in general with inaccurate data sometimes slipping through the cracks due to a failure on my part. 

I appreciate any time you’d spend on this subject, and/or any resources you may provide!

0 replies

Be the first to reply!