Use Case Examples - Categories in the CLOR

• 16 February 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’m playing around with the Category functionality, and I know that categories that are created on the Course Management page will appear in the CLOR, and vice versa, if a category is created in the CLOR it will appear under Course Management.  

I can see the use case for using Categories on Courses, as they help with filtering both for the end user within catalogs, and for Administrators who are creating courses.  I’m struggling to find a good use case for the Categories in the CLOR.

Does anyone else use categories in the CLOR? I’m curious to know how they are beneficial for you, as well as if you use Categories in the CLOR, do you also use categories on course shells? 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Our CLOR contains learning objects in different languages so we use categories to filter the objects according to language.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

When we have shared learning objects in CLOR that are used across several courses, we put them into the category where those courses are (e.g. product training) so the structure is similar to our course’s categorization.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I use categories in the CLOR to help segment courses across extended enterprise tenants, and across LOBs in my tenant. Many of my courses have the same or similar course titles, do not contain course numbers, and it becomes very confusing to know which audience the training material is directed to. I also support content around the world, and in multiple languages, so using categories in the CLOR also helps me understand this information.

Userlevel 4

I use the categories to separate content over our domains, and materials such as documents  vs eLearning. We have separate materials for our ILT courses that are only for those courses though their names may be similar to ones that are widely circulated. By placing them in specific folders, we cut down on confusion about what materials can be shared.  It’s important not to get too granular otherwise it is difficult to maintain.