Question

Use case for unpublished courses being visible

• 19 December 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

What is the use case for courses that are under maintenance to be visible to learners?

1. in catalogs
  2. On a task or course enrollment widget
  3. In the all courses and learning plans page
  4. In Channels

Why would you want this?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

perhaps when you're doing quick maintenance and need them to be offline for a short while? or show on transcript (My activities) without having the option to access the course.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Course Days of Validity should make it visible but inaccessible on the “My courses and learning plans” page. Does it behave differently on the user profile My Activities?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

think it’s the same result as far as users are concerned. Difference with a validity period is that is a definite access end date whereas the ‘under maintenance’ option is usually for a short period of time. At least that’s how we use it.

Userlevel 4

@lhubbard We need the courses to be on the transcript for compliance/legal review but remove the materials and create a new course with updated materials for the subsequent year. For example, HIPAA 2022 will have the materials removed and be placed under maintenance when HIPAA 2023 is available. We can’t use the days of because staff MUST complete the training, but do not do so during the actual validity period, so we can’t lock them out. 

This is FAR from ideal, but the only way to accomplish what we need with the platform’s features and the reality that people don’t do required training when they are supposed to. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@megan.fralix  If I understand you correctly your use case is to show a completed status on the transcript. What do you consider the transcript? The user profile My Activities?

Userlevel 4

@lhubbard Correct. We pull the user personal summary as the transcript. We need to pull a PDF for external auditors checking staff trainings. I also place courses under maintenance for quick updates like @lrnlab mentions.