Best Answer

Using the Audit Trail effectively

• 2 August 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Has anyone else had issues getting what they need from the Audit Trail? A couple of times I have tried to determine who created a course & have narrowed the Time Frame to reflect when I know that course was uploaded, but I still could not find it. The first time this happened I tried adding a buffer period of about a week on either side & that worked, but the last time I tried this same approach I was still not able to find what I was looking for.

I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong, but ultimately it meant i had to reach out to several Power Users before finding what/whom I was looking for. Any input is, as ever, greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Nate

icon

Best answer by lrnlab 2 August 2022, 22:42

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You could be sure to limit your 90 day window to only new courses with the filter.

If that is still too large a list - narrow by “searching” with CTRL-F for the course name or the instructor email.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thanks for supplying this @gstager, but it makes me realize I was not being clear in my original post.

The report would not show the course I was looking for at all. It would show other courses in the same time period, but not that one.

I’ve tried recreating the issue, but of course it works fine now. So, maybe it was just a fluke, but I’ll keep an eye on this. I was primarily wondering if anyone else had seen this behaviour & how they overcame it, but i hadn’t considered the <ctrl-f> approach when the list is too long (which, in this case, is the opposite of my problem, but will certainly come in handy in the near future.

Cheers,
Nate

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @NateC I find that searching with the “hidden” course ID usually helps...you can find that in the URL once you open the course in edit mode, or by hovering over the link and looking at the bottom of your screen; in Chrome

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Perhaps another thought

How about an additional field for the course author?

Of course, the issue here is getting them to fill it out when they make the course.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Perhaps another thought

Of course, the issue here is getting them to fill it out when they make the course.

good one, they can be made mandatory with the next release so that could help.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Perhaps another thought

This is a good idea, I can bring it up w/ the rest of my team.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Lots of great workaround thoughts here, have always been frustrated by the audit trail, I get its a very admin type thing but it is very awkwardly done sometimes and feels a bit like luck for tracking down what is needed, not exactly the feeling you want with something like an audit trail.

I have been using the audit trail filters to show all the unenrollments along with selecting a date range to determine what refunds I need to process.

I use this list to process Stripe transactions manually, as it has name(s) of those that unenrolled. However, the audit trail it shows all unenrollments, paid and complimentary (free).  Is there a way to filter the report so it only shows paid classes along with the dollar amount? In the past, I created a SuperAdmin notification for unenrollment but it is not currently working (support is looking into this).

While this process isn’t bad, it would be nice to have it streamlined so the list includes the courses that need refunds (paid). Thank you and hope you consider it.