Question

What counts as a "view"?

• 28 October 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Put another way, what does a learner do to contribute to an asset’s view count? Do they need to visit the asset URL specifically? Or can they interact with an asset more passively but still count towards its views?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @ebarrett think it just counts the number of hits from the channel page.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Curious what would be a passive event that wouldn’t involve the assets url being loaded?

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Bfarkas I probably could have explained this better…

We have the Activity Feed widget on the home page so people can see when new assets get uploaded. I am wondering what kind of engagement needs to take place for an asset shown in the feed to be counted as having been viewed.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @ebarrett think it just counts the number of hits from the channel page.

@lrnlab this is what I would think, too --- but the way we’re using channels is more as where assets get stored. The activity feed widget is mostly how people would be aware of assets being available, and our learners are rarely going to a channel itself.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I’d assume the user selecting the asset to view it from that widget should still count as a view.

Userlevel 3
Badge

How about just scrolling the asset from the feed, like this:

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hmm I’d suspect not. Seems like a thing to test though, just make something only you have access to and a page with a widget only you see, go look at widget and see if it records a view?