What else is there besides cmi.core.student_name (SCORM 1.2) & cmi.learner_name (SCORM 2004)?

• 12 February 2024
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
  • Helper III
  • 100 replies

OK, so I’ve been wondering whether we can have more customization of the learning experience within a single SCORM package. You know how e-learning courses can take the learner’s name from the LMS and display it right there in the course? For that they use LMSGetValue (cmi.core.student_name (SCORM 1.2) or GetValue (cmi.learner_name) (SCORM 2004 v3).

...Can you tell I’ve been looking at SCORM Run Time references and manifest structures?

Anyway, along the way I’ve learned that both SCORM run times also have this:

cmi.launch_data (characterstring (SPM: 4000*), RO) Data provided to a SCO after launch, initialized from the dataFromLMS manifest element

* 4000 is the SPM for SCORM 2004 v3; for SCORM 1.2 it’s 4096.

Interesting. And what about this dataFromLMS element?

<adlcp:dataFromLMS>[0:1]Data to be sent to the SCO via the cmi.launch_data runtime data model element. Similar to the parameters attribute, this data can be useful for varying the behavior of shared resources.

So this is sounding like it could be useful.

Some immediate ideas for how this could be used, at least in theory:

• If we bundle many language versions into a single SCORM, we could automatically select the right one for the learner based on their selected language in the LMS.
  • We are a company with many brands; perhaps our employees could all take the same corporate training content, only branded according to their business unit (which is a user additional field in Docebo).
  • Depending on the learner’s job profile, we could present examples that are specific to their context.

And so on.

Another interesting thing I spotted re: the manifest structure. The adlcp:dataFromLMS element lives within an organizations container.

<organizations>[1]Contains all of the different ways the content in this manifest can be arranged. Usually there is just one organization defined. Multiple organizations define alternate ways of presenting the content (to present different content to different audiences for example).

This is also sounding relevant.

My question, then, is whether anyone here has any knowledge of these SCORM features and, concretely, how to use them in Docebo? Are they supported at all or is this approach and mindset beyond the scope of Docebo’s offering?

0 replies

Be the first to reply!