Why is there extra info built into the [event_date] data tag?

• 7 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

I currently have a notification set up to automatically send an email to enrolled users for an ILT class one day before their event starts.  This notification includes the [event_date] shortcode.  That shortcode appears to have a bunch of extra information in it, as well as line breaks before and after the actual date/time information.  

Example: 

Text in notification -

“We look forward to seeing you on [event_date].”

Text as it appears in email - 

“We look forward to seeing you on 

10/25/2023 6:00:00 pm - 10/25/2023 7:00:00 pm (your time GMT -05:00 American/Chicago)

.”

I have a couple of questions here.

1. Why is there so much extra information in this shortcode?  I can understand the time and time zone being included (though I would argue that those should be separate shortcodes), but the location is a completely separate piece of information from the event date.  Is there a different shortcode that I should be using for just the event date?
  2. Why is there not a space between “Location:” and the location information?  This mistake makes my notification look unpolished, and it’s not something that I can fix.
  3. Why are there extra line breaks in that shortcode, and how do I get rid of them?  I would much rather that I add line breaks into the notification where I want them than they are included in the shortcode itself.  It makes formatting the notification extremely difficult.
  4. Is there a way to send a test notification to myself so I can see how the shortcode will appear in the email, since this shortcode includes formatting that I’m trying to account for?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!  Thanks! 

2 replies

I agree! This makes it even more confusing when it’s a hybrid meeting. The way GMT is listed is challenging as well. I cannot tell you how many times users contact me with “I accidentally scheduled for 5 o'clock” when in fact they are referring to GMT - 05:00. While I’m here, COUNTRY listed in ALL CAPS is A LOT.

Just here to agree and strongly agree with the Email PREVIEW request!