Question

Assigning a badge to those who comment on an asset in Coach & Share (Discover)?

Userlevel 3

Hello,

We are trying to engage with our learners in new ways this year, and we want to promote and drive the “sharing” aspect of Coach & Share. We’ve been trying to assign a badge to those who comment underneath an asset, but the only option I see in the drop down list for badges is for those who specifically “ask a question.”

Reporting-wise, “questions” and “comments were often lumped together, so I thought maybe this would be similar here. But it doesn’t seem to be. 

Does anyone know of a way to assign a badge to those who comment without having to do it manually?

Thank you! :)

7 replies

Userlevel 4

I would also love to hear how people are leveraging coach & share as I cannot get much traction with this feature. 

Userlevel 3

@dandrews We relaunched it this year, after a so-so first go at it in the last 2 years. We weren’t getting much traction before either. This year, we narrowed our focus to “continued learning,” with the goal being that learning doesn’t stop once you leave the webinar/classroom, and made it more user friendly by doing some of the following:

• We created a page with categories/buttons to help the learners browse, as opposed to having all the channels on the same page (when you have more than just a few, the scrolling and the loading of the channels was a pain point)
  • We tied some of the channels and some of the assets to our core learning, meaning that we have 4 core leadership programs that we offer all levels of our company. As of this year, part of those learning paths actually include Coach & Share activities where they are being asked to view an asset and participate in the conversation in the comments. 
    • There is no way to make a C/S asset itself part of the learning plans, so our workaround was to create a SCORM pack that explains the activity to them and links them to the C/S asset and discussion they need to participate in. That SCORM is a course within the learning plans.
  • We also made sure that for every training we offer, there is a “sustainment piece” in the channels that we can then link everyone to after they’ve participated in a session.
  • We also upped our marketing of the platform, so we started a monthly newsletter (email) that highlights some of the newer assets and/or anything that may be relevant to the time of year. Direct links are included to the assets.
  • We utilize the “invite to watch” function regularly and have customized the notification that people receive to be clearer than the generic one the system generates. It includes a thumbnail of the asset and a short description with the direct link. 
  • We have engaged several teams and experts within our company and help them maintain their channels up to date with content the teams find relevant. 
  • We regularly do a pulse check with our teams to ask what they would like to see more of in C/S (for example, last year, we got a request to offer more “fun” content that doesn’t necessarily have to do with their everyday task, so we engaged with our culinary team and they make quick TikTok-style videos on cooking tips that are applicable at home like at work (for some))
  • We are running a badge contest from July 1st to Sept 1st to promote engagement with the content (comments/sharing). This is the piece that I wish worked right now instead of being manual. 

Here’s an example of what our page with categories looks like :) Hope this helps you brainstorm a bit!

Userlevel 4

@Ahebert This is so great stuff. I’ll have to take a moment to read through it all!

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi @Ahebert this is Marco Product Manager for Gamification and DCS
Currently only Q/A posts are available as badge assignment Rule , i suggest to open and Idea about this improvement,  we are refactoring badges during this year so is a perfect timing. 

About your usage of Coach and Share, very interesting, if possible would be nice to have a call with you to get  feedback about your experience, your needs, your pain point and your achievements with Discover Coach and Share.
Will be very helpful for me to better design the future improvements of the feature. 

If it is possible, can you please   get in contact with your Account Manager to organize this call?
Thanks

Marco

Userlevel 3

@Marco.T Absolutely! And thank you, I’ll open an idea on this. 

Edited to add: Idea open - 

@Ahebert  - came on here to search how others are using badges to encourage participation in Coach and Share and I’m wondering how you’re doing with the contest idea.  Any progress you can share? Lessons learned?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Agree with the comments...Getting gamification off the ground is sometimes challenging with the options we currently have...adding more ‘recipes’ to obtain points and badges will certainly help.