Best practices: Creating a learning journey (path / collection of learning plans in order)

• 24 August 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Currently I am putting these in catalogs each with their own page and own catalog.

Is there a less messy way to do this without all the catalogs? If not that’s fine I only have 10 or so. I’m using @lrnlab’s spectacular hidden pages hack to hide these pages from the menu but make them accessible to users via deeplinking.

Also having them not be in reverse order would be great. Is there a way to do this other than creating them in reverse order to reverse the reversal? Again not a big deal.

Trying to replicate the following from our old LMS

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

There are some limitations on this with solely out-of-the-box functionality. I’ve seen some people use the automated groups to pull someone into a group after they complete the last course of Learning Plan 1 (assuming the LP is in sequential order), then use an enrollment rule to auto enroll that person into Learning Plan 2 in the series. This doesn’t show the LPs to the users though so not perfect but might work. 

I’ve seen people use a catalog approach like you’re doing - you should be able to force the display order by using the catalog setting of sort by code and making sure the codes on your LPs are in 1, 2, 3 order as you want them to be displayed in the catalog.

The last option, which would require some custom HTML and CSS is to build a custom page with drop-down functionality where users could select various “topic” tiles and then each has a drop-down listing the series of learning plans for them to click and access as they see fit. GuyKat has helped quite a few customers with this custom path so feel free to reach out if you want to explore that and you don’t have the in-house capabilities to achieve it.