Best Answer

Embedding video file on a widget page without using Youtube, Vimeo, etc.

• 25 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Is there a way to put a video frame on a widget page WITHOUT it being a link to an external video host like Youtube or Vimeo?  The Youtube embed DOES work and will play my video if I host it there, but it has the video title overtop of the video frame, and also shows recommended Youtube links when paused or finished.  Those things take away from the beauty of the platform, and also encourage learners to click links and leave the platform, rather than staying engaged.

Is there a way to use the HTML widget or another one to embed a video player within a Docebo page without having to use one of these outside services?

icon

Best answer by JDigital 25 January 2022, 19:48

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 3

There are some ways to do this. One is using the built-in HTML/WYSIWYG Widget and hosting the MP4 video on your own webserver. You would just add the URL path to your video where you see the “#”. The below width and height works well on the 1/3 row size. You can adjust based on the width of the widget and of course do not go larger than the actual video size on width and height. The below size is half size of a 1920 x 1080 video.

Second, you can use an iframe to bring in the video content from a webpage. Glad to share more if the below does not meet your needs.

EXAMPLE FOR HTML/WYSIWYG Widget:

<video width="960" height="540" controls=""><source src="#" type="video/mp4">
Your browser does not support the video tag.
</source></video>

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

This was done quickly with iSpring Presenter:

https://lmsproject.s3.amazonaws.com/Docebo_Content/test/index.html

I’d change the settings to remove most of the template elements for your use case.

Another solution would be to put something like this to create an iframe embed code:

http://youtubeembedcode.com/en/

There is probably some javascript code to remove the end cards, but I haven’t found the right code yet.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks @JDigital this is exactly what I needed and works perfectly!

Userlevel 1

can we set the video to autoplay? I added the autoplay code, but it dispappears when i save. 

Userlevel 3

Seems to working for everyone except me. I used the snippet from JDigital, but the video doesn’t load. I have the widget showing up on the page, but it stays grey and nothing happens. Not even if I use a URL from youtube. Any idea why this might happen? Any help would be appreciated :)

Userlevel 4
Badge

Sorry, late to this party. I found that the Wistia options works well. It is an outside service, very reasonably priced and has free trial. The best thing with Wistia is that I set the custom domain on Wistia so that it only plays the video in our Sandbox or Production environment, allows me to brand the player, and does not provide any links. And no ads like YouTube. If your use case is to add MP4 videos to a page, I recommend looking into this option. You upload your video to Wistia, then use the link similar to YouTube link to add to the Embed video widget and it plays very nicely.