Question

Employee Introduction to Docebo & Good First Impressions

• 19 November 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3

Hey everyone!

Since September I have been configuring the back-end in a new Docebo instance for a company that has never had an LMS before. My attention has now fully shifted to UI/UX in preparation for our Soft Launch and I would like input on a few areas. I know answers will likely vary depending on whether you were configuring an LMS for the first time at your company or transitioning from an old platform to Docebo.

Did you release with the stock Docebo pages and menus, heavily customized, or a mix of both? I think some of the stock pages are fine, but others could be condensed to create a more simplified menu. If you’re particularly proud of a page you designed, and don’t mind sharing it, I would appreciate seeing it.

What was your use of channels like on day one? Did you have a lot of custom channels set up with content created? Did you have experts identified and assigned to them? Were the initial experts the LMS team or had you trained others in the org on the expert functionality before launching?

Finally, what sort of training did you create for your users to introduce them to the LMS? I have been thinking about a scavenger hunt like course the manually graded assignments to do something like “submit a screenshot of the course catalog page,” short videos on each page to walk through their use, and traditional text & screenshots. Ideally users will be using the platform regularly, but I know from experience that there will be confusion from some users initially, and perhaps ongoing for the few that do not sign in regularly. 

If I didn’t ask something you think is worth keeping in mind, please share it.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

HI @hchewni and welcome...this is a huge question and probably one you should also discuss with your internal teams...since there are so many features available (depending on your plan) and not knowing what if any LMS you were using previously, I might suggest you start with a simple interface with a clean look that will not overwhelm your users (if that’s a concern for you) and then formulate a plan to launch new features and functions over several months. You might try enabling certain features to coincide with the launch of new course or LP, for example,

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I have been thinking about a scavenger hunt like course the manually graded assignments to do something like “submit a screenshot of the course catalog page,”

I remember doing something like this as a learner for the D2L platform when I was in college. I thought it was effective at helping point out the important areas of the system I would interact with the most.

We are also in this phase so it is a good question for us to wrestle with as well. I think we will likely do something slightly different for our employees vs our external customers.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

HI @hchewni and welcome...this is a huge question and probably one you should also discuss with your internal teams...since there are so many features available (depending on your plan) and not knowing what if any LMS you were using previously, I might suggest you start with a simple interface with a clean look that will not overwhelm your users (if that’s a concern for you) and then formulate a plan to launch new features and functions over several months. You might try enabling certain features to coincide with the launch of new course or LP, for example,

I’ve inherited a platform that did not follow this advice and I regularly wish this was not the case. My platform has everything and the kitchen sink in it, and untangling the webs to try to understand what should or shouldn’t stay is quite difficult.

I’d second this notion: start simple, add piece by piece. Additions should be intentional and value-add.

Userlevel 5
Badge

I just noticed I may be a bit late to this thread… ah well...

Here’s my take, hope it helps!

Before working on the UI/UX, I pulled a sampling of my users and asked them… “What do you go into the LMS for?” and “What would make your LMS experience better?”

Luckily for me, there was a consistent answer across all of my focus groups.

They go in to see what courses are assigned to them, find courses to take, and to see what courses they have taken (mostly to add to monthly/annual appraisals or requests for advancement).

Most of my users have a home page with 4 buttons on it “My Courses” “Course Catalog” “My Transcript” and “My Profile.” (People with direct reports have a modified interface with the addition of a “My Team” button.)

I didn't use the out of the box pages for most of my pages. The My Courses was custom to have two columns one for “Not started” and one for “In-Progress.” The Course Catalog was a page designed with courses divided into ILT and eLearning. The Transcript page was similar to the My courses pages, but filtered for completed courses. The Profile and My Teams were the out of the box pages.

We haven’t used channels, ever, which is probably a controversial practice. I’m not opposed to it, but I haven’t seen a persuasive use case for it yet. (Things are already confusing enough with categories and catalogs.) 

As for training, I did two things. The first was to create an infographic for our intranet page that shows the two common main pages, and labeled what from our old system can be found where. The second thing was to create a short welcome video that does a system walkthrough. To ensure everyone saw that video, I repurposed the Privacy Policy. Instead of a box that pops up on first log in about the privacy policy, the box now shows the short welcome video. Once they watch it, they check the box that they are ready to learn and away they go.