Best Answer

Filter courses based off Group

• 9 February 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi all,

We have been looking for a solution to what may be a niche problem. Currently, our branches are structured by Customer. We also have an Additional Field for each user, detailing what their “Functional Area” is - ie Finance, Production, Operations, etc.

Our courses fall into two categories - general software and products available to everybody, and specific software and products available to only certain customers. Also, although we enroll them in courses upon creating their user, we really want them to explore and find courses that are meaningful to them.

Additionally, not all of these courses are appropriate for each “Functional Area”. For example, we would not expect a Finance user to go through a course detailing how to use the software to analyze an asset.

What we were hoping to do is create a limited number of catalogs (in this instance 2 - Software and Products). Then, the courses that would be visible to the customer would depend on the user’s branch and additional fields (Customer and Functional Area). I understand I can use those to automatically sort learners into groups, but as far as displaying certain courses - is this possible?

icon

Best answer by alekwo 10 February 2022, 12:23

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @rpannebaker if I understand you correctly, you are looking to control access to catalogs via groups? If yes, certainly you can do that...catalogue access can be managed by individual users, branches and groups; either independently or as a combo of any of the 3 options. Hopefully this will help you get the audience correct.

Hi Irnlab,

Actually, we are trying to control course visibility via the groups. If we could have two catalogs, where the courses visibility is handled by the groups, that would be much easier to handle than if we let the group control catalogue visibility. A rough count of the amount of groups we will have to make is ~490, and if each group has access to two distinct catalogues, that's 980 catalogues - too many to keep track of!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@rpannebaker - good evening to you. I believe I understand where you are going with it, but maybe for clarification, I think you are talking about “visible catalogs” on a page. I faced this in a simplified space, so let me talk you through 2 groups 2 catalogs 1 widget. First and foremost groups can control catalog visibility to a single widget.

An order of operations:

1. Generate your content
  2. Map that content to your 2 catalogs (I know you said more above, but hang on)
  3. Establish your 2 groups
  4. Populate said groups
  5. Map catalog A to group A (more can happen, but keep following) in the Course Catalog
  6. Map catalog B to group B in the Course Catalog section
  7. Make sure your page permissions is supporting both groups to see the one page (established with menus).

So when configuring your catalog widget your drop in your two catalogs….and a person in the appropriate group will only see their catalog. There are few nuances to this one - but that is the general gist.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@rpannebaker if I understand you correctly you would like to have courses that are within a catalog visible to users only if they are both in a specific group AND a specific branch - kind of a matrix assignment.

Unfortunately that’s not how Docebo’s permission model is designed.

There is no way of assigning individual course visibility to groups, other than through adding courses to catalogs that are visible to those groups (or enrolling all members of the group in a course).

Also, catalog visibility is not managed by filtering things out, but rather by listing who can see everything what’s added to a specific catalog. Once you assign a catalog to a branch or group - all users within that branch/group will see all content in the catalog. Moreover, catalog visibility is assigned using an OR condition - so if you assign a catalog to both a group and a branch - this will make it visible to the sum of all users in both the branch and the group.

You may want to get creative in using catalogs, learning plans, and pages to guide people to the relevant courses (especially if you’d consider that the fact that they are unlikely to use courses from other functional areas doesn’t mean that they are not allowed to see those courses). As you said, you have training that is applicable across all branches, I think you may find some better alternatives to creating a separate catalog for each combination of the branch and functional area.

We have several catalogs for each of our products, most customers use only one or two products, so we have created a home page, from which users select about which product they want to learn and navigate to a sub-page. Then we use learning plans and page widgets to organize the learning.

For training that is dedicated to a single customer, we enroll those who need to access it, or provide an enrollment link so they can distribute it within their teams as needed.