Question

Handling courses that require approval for enrollment

• 27 January 2022
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

We have a very small number of courses that we want to allow our clients to see in the catalogs and be able to click “Enroll,” but these courses require approval before they can be fully enrolled.  All other courses in visible catalogs use free enrollment, so standard users can enroll in those themselves and/or have Power Users enroll them.

We have these special courses set to require Admin approval for enrollment.  The thought is that they can click Enroll and get added to a waitlist (or have a Power User at their facility enroll them and still go to the waitlist), then an Admin at our company would review and approve/reject as needed.

We have a notification set up letting them know they have been added to a waitlist and that they will be contacted via email to let them know if they have been approved or rejected. 

For these courses, the clients must have already placed an order for the related application in order to access the course content (or attend the live session, for those that are ILT courses).  Our Admin will get a notification when someone is added to the waitlist so they can go verify if they have purchased the application - if they have, the Admin will approve the enrollment (or reject if they haven’t) and send them an email explaining that they have been approved/denied (we are handling this part manually for now via email).

THE ISSUE:  What we have run into is that our clients that are designated as Power Users are able to enroll users into any visible courses (as desired), but they are also able to enroll themselves and others into these courses that require Admin approval without ever going to the waitlist.  We would like to be able to lock these particular courses down so that they can SEE these courses but only be approved for enrollment by certain people (either Super Admin or specific users or PU profiles) - not ALL power users with the ability to enroll users should be able to approve these enrollments.

Has anyone else run into this issue and/or have a functional workaround?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @sjennings78 yes we have and are living with this same issue but compounded with eCommerce...the issue is that in order to give your PU’s access to approve and enrol users into courses, Docebo assumes the PU (the approver) will not be taking the same course. What we’ve done to separate the user from the PU is to create generic admin accounts that have different usernames than the actual user. This way if the PU enrols themsevles into a course you easily see this. 

It does not solve the issue with approvals that need an overhaul but at least it separates them fro the ‘real’ users. We logged many tickets on this subject and have posted a number of ideas so hopefully we can see some improvements over the next year or so...

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@lrnlab   Hello - you mention that you are using the Admin Approval option for some of your e-commerce courses.  I am unable to get that to work.  I’ve configured several courses (not e-commerce) to require admin approval, and it works well, but as soon as I make the courses sellable, they no longer require approval.  How did you accomplish that?  

Thank you!!

Cheryl

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @cschmelzer are you asking about the what permissions the PU approvers need? On the courses, we hadn't done anything more than activate eCommerce and set the enrolment rules to require approval.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thank you. I was just asking about the enrollment policy. I’ve done the same - activated e-commerce and set enrollment policy to require approval. Users are still able to purchase without approval.  I will review again.  Thanks for the quick response.

Cheryl

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

That’s odd..is your eCommerce all set-up with your payment gateway, etc.? They need to be able to go the checkout process...is that working when you test it?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi Irnlab,

Yes our eCommerce is configured and working.  I am able to log in as a user, select the course/session, add it to my cart and get to the payment process.  I am working in our sandbox and using a test cc number. I am able to get that far. Does the user actually have to pay for the course before they find out that approval is required?

Thank you,

Cheryl  

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I think I’ve found my issue. According to Docebo help, when a course is on sale, the Pending Admin approval option is ignored.  We don’t want to set the course to Only Admins can enroll learners because that locks the course entirely, and we don’t want to turn off self-enrollment for our entire site. I don’t see a solution for us.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @cschmelzer this is the gap between approvals and eCommerce at the moment...if the user pays for the course, they essentially bypass the approval process (so you can see that approvals and eCommerce are not linked or dependant on one another). We leveraged the Wire Transfer app and renamed it to “Invoice me”..this leaves the transaction as pending and only once the PU or super approves it, would access to the course be provided...not a great process but it works for now (although quite fragile as you need a solid business process to properly support this)

read this: 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thank you for that explanation. Currently, we only support credit card payments so the wire transfer won’t work.  Appears that we may have to require approval for all, or use a separate domain. Neither one of those options is ideal.  Thank you for your continuous feedback. Very helpful!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thank you for that explanation. Currently, we only support credit card payments so the wire transfer won’t work.  Appears that we may have to require approval for all, or use a separate domain. Neither one of those options is ideal.  Thank you for your continuous feedback. Very helpful!

we dont actually use wire transfers though...we use this to mimic a “bill me” option.Transactions logged with this method are exported to an accounting system that then issues invoices.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thx. Understood.