Question

Help with learner usability/buttons.

• 10 February 2022
  • 12 replies

Hello all! 

I don’t use Docebo, but my company builds courses that goes into our client’s Docebo LMS. 

I am trying to help our client with some learner usability in the platform and need some help. After the course is complete, we want the learner to be able to re-watch the content (uploaded in a SCORM package). Is it possible to add a button somewhere on the main page, like below the “Start Learning Now” button, that allows the user to start the course from the beginning? (This restart doesn’t need to clear any interactivities in the SCORM.) 

Thanks for the help! 

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@kori-lin I don’t think this is something you can add in Docebo.

We have implemented this in some of our SCORM courses

In others we simply have a “Start from the begging” button on the last slide.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

agree with @alekwo definitely something you can do within the SCORM package itself...depending on what this course is about and what type of tracking you need to establish, you could make this a course that does not auto-complete so users can launch again at any time; then decide whether you need to add a deliberate option to mark the course as completed or another learning object (like a survey) that would mark the course as completed.

@kori-linI don’t think this is something you can add in Docebo.

We have implemented this in some of our SCORM courses

In others we simply have a “Start from the begging” button on the last slide.

@alekwo

We have a team the delivers the SCORM after it’s built in Articulate storyline.

For the image you show, when users complete the course, do they automatically go to this slide at the end of the course? Or does that image pop-up if the user comes back? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@kori-linI don’t use Articulate, this one is from a course built with Adapt Learning, there is a plugin for that. It pops up whenever a user returns to a course. 

But in any tool, you should be able to add a button that will let people jump from the last page back to the begging, as we do in Captivate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

For much of my SCORM content - I try to do three things.

1. Make the project small and easily completed in a single sitting. 
    (a complete course would be made of many small projects)
  2. Make the content interactive.
    (If all I need is passive content…an mp3, mp4, or pdf will suffice)
  3. Turn off bookmarking and allow navigation freedom
    (basically - that means the learner always starts at the beginning - but they may choose the path through the content.)

Thank you all so much for your help! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@kori-lin - We use articulate all the time - and put a button on the last page that essentially supports what @alekwo are mentioning above.

When you do that? You may want to think about ensuring your course is being reset as well and that each slide is going to its initial state. Storyline really handles this well…but sophisticated courses can get out of state when you are telling it to just jump to the first slide versus a reset of the material. My older “hammer” - Captivate - was very very finicky about the state of the and attached quizzes if you jump a person back to the beginning.

A second note - you can tell Storyline how you want it to behave with that popup that supports bringing the learner to restart or to continue. You do not have to present the user with it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Agree @dklinger  -  one must be careful to reset all aspects or problems could occur.

A decent  onSuccess  command for a button like that is

location.reload();

especially if you have a ton of variables that need to be returned to default.

Agree @dklinger  -  one must be careful to reset all aspects or problems could occur.

A decent  onSuccess  command for a button like that is

location.reload();

especially if you have a ton of variables that need to be returned to default.

Thankfully, we wouldn’t want anything reset. Just for them to watch the videos/content again. 

Thanks to everyone for all of your help on this one! We decided to go with a button on the last slide allowing users to go back to the beginning and without resetting any of the interactive content. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@kori-lin - are we answering your question though? Let me know.

Your original note was looking for an adjustment to the buttons in Docebo...and the group was leaning you towards building that function into your courseware.

@kori-lin- are we answering your question though? Let me know.

Your original note was looking for an adjustment to the buttons in Docebo...and the group was leaning you towards building that function into your courseware.

Yes, my question was answered. Thank you for checking.