Question

ILT Attendance

• 11 November 2021
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Does anyone know if you can set completion for ILT by attendance time? It seems weird it could mark someone complete if they join and and then leave. Does Docebo even have the capability to track time in a live session?

We host really large training sessions so hard to keep track of each individual. If we can’t track by time, do you all have best practices to help mark complete only if they attended the full session?

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

HI @kmackenzie there is a time element when tracking attendance on ILT events…you need to dig into the event and go to Events & Attendance tab, then you can mark attendance and track the time there

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@lrnlab does this work only if you use specific settings?

We launch all virtual sessions with the “Custom tool” under Venue and Video Conference Tool. Does this only work with the Zoom V2 Meeting?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Don't think they are related...the attendance field can be filled in after the event...perhaps just change the tracking method to manual so you can enter the time elements based on your attendance reports from whatever tool you use.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Oh, oh. I think I was misunderstanding.

Your suggestion above was not proposing that Docebo can automatically track the time a user spends in a vILT session, correct? I was thinking you were saying that it could.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Oh, oh. I think I was misunderstanding.

Your suggestion above was not proposing that Docebo can automatically track the time a user spends in a vILT session, correct? I was thinking you were saying that it could.

right, it does not do that unfortunately...

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Cheers - thank you for confirming and clearing up my misunderstanding. Wouldn’t that be awesome? haha

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

indeed...I think there are some ideas on this very topic you can find and vote up

Userlevel 3
Badge

We use GoToWebinar as our video conference tool for our vILT webinars. Docebo is not able to track attendance on the GTW session. We’ve had to build a script to retrieve attendance info using the GoToWebinar API and then push the information into Docebo for a ‘manual’ completion using the Docebo API. You’ll need help from someone with more IT skills than me to execute this. We’re fortunate to have had some help from our Technical Team.

@lrnlab I haven’t found the Ideas on this specific topic but I’ll certainly go hunting for them now.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

We use Teams as our video conference tool.  We also suffer the same issue.  It’s great that it completes the course when they click the link (less work for us), but as you say @willingworth, in theory someone could just click the link and then just leave.

I did find this in the knowledge base, which I found interesting as to how it is calculated:

Tracking Logic for Courses

The tracked time is recorded at enrollment level (that is, the association between the course and the user) and it is based on the total time spent on the training materials composing the course.

For E-Learning courses, the time spent by users in courses is calculated by summing the tracks that users generate while playing the course’s training material.

For ILT (Instructor-Led Training) courses, besides tracking the time spent on the training material, the platform also considers:

• for on-site events, the amount of time spent by the user in every event where the event/session instructor recorded his or her attendance
  • for online events, the amount of time spent by the user in the videoconference tool selected for every event. When selecting the Custom Tool option as Video Conference Tool, the platform cannot track the time spent in the event, so the system will calculate it as the time between the event start and end time configured in the event properties

As a general rule, the time tracking starts when the user first interacts with the course’s training material and stops five minutes after the last user interaction with the course player, at course level.

Userlevel 2
Badge

We use Teams primarily and I turn on the Keep Attendance so I can see the time attended.  I’ve manually logged times from the Teams attendance results.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

So the only choice for automatically doing this is by using Adobe Connect, I was involved in the build process for that and it works great but you have to be using connect which I don’t reccomend. I know there was work on adding it for Zoom as I had designed how it should work to take into account not requiring known zoom accounts and am hoping it would be coming soon. The trouble is each platform is nuanced for this type of thing and has to be thought through and custom built to work well, so it is essentially a different feature per platform. 

Anyways to tag on to current workarounds, I know a few folks who use zoom who made an excel template to basically dump the zoom report into and it auto calculates the attendance statuses based on time and then they do a CSV upload to update credit. Now for it to work they required users log into zoom with their known work account so that the Id was the same as what was needed for the CSV. Not perfect, takes time, but I do agree about the log in for a second and leave. 

alternatively, I know a few instructors who leave the instant credit on and make note of their students that leave early and go remove their credit after. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Can someone please tell me if I can get either a more accurate time when someone attended an ILT or even a percentage of time they were in an ILT? When I ran my first report for our first in-house soft launch I noticed that those who attended the live session 20 minutes late were marked down as having fully attended. I’ve read through this thread and didn’t see anything, but I’m hoping that perhaps there was new insight since the posting 8 months ago?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Nicole this may depend on your settings..If you need to very accurate about the amount of time each user was present, you would need reconcile this with your virtual meeting tool and then track it via Attendance in Docebo…

When you use the option to mark complete when the user joins, Docebo does not take into account if some one is late.

Userlevel 1

hey there, has there been any update to this? @kmackenzie are you still encountering the same issues? @Bfarkas can you point to the template csv files for zoom? do you know if more work on the zoom integration you describe has been done?

As a new Docebo customer looking for this functionality, this is a super helpful thread!

Userlevel 4
Badge

@GreerHamilton 
Hi Greer, 
We ended up not using the Docebo&Zoom integration. It was just easier for us to use our facilitator’s reoccurring Zoom teaching link for everything. (I just had to plug it into the video conference custom tab in the session set-up) That way, everyone in the company would know what the facilitator’s Zoom link was in case a learner or client asked, or if we had to replace an instructor last minute, we could easily swap teaching links. 

Userlevel 1

Ahh, that makes lots of sense, thanks for explaining what you ended up doing, @Nicole!