Improvements to the platform login flow

• 9 June 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

I have a client who has an external & internal use case which leads them to having two different types of logins. For their internal users they sign in via SSO and external users login with Username & Password. It seems that the users often confuse the two logins which creates frustration.

One idea was to modify the login page so that when user clicks the login button, they are prompted to select their user type and redirect them to the correct login page either SSO or Docebo. Has anyone else done this before? 

OR has anyone else experienced this and have recommendations on what they have done? 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@tdconnelly different login methods work well with sub domains. I agree that the login panel (when SSO is enabled) is a little hard to read, especially if 1 group uses one method and another group the other...the use of sub domains takes care of that though...

Userlevel 5
Badge

Just an idea, not very technical… but what if they create a background image for the log-in page that has brief directions saying, “if you are ___ type your credentials…. if you are ___ click SSO.” 

Here is a quick visual that I scratched together:

Gradient or plain background to minimize distractions. The blue box is just a reminder of where the log in box might be, but most likely would be a blank space. Then the words and arrows generally pointing to the right regions.

I know the effectiveness would rely heavily on how big the browser window is that the users are utilizing, and the suggestion is useless on mobile. Just an idea.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I would really like the possibility of using both SSO and standard login for “externals”. At the moment, we’re struggling with the same thing and need to use the Extended Enterprise (multidomain).

If this idea is not yet in the Docebo Ideas Portal, I think you should create one @Dahveed 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

We use it with multi-domains as well and have the login page for one of domains set to show both the SSO option + the manual login method. We haven’s had any complaints or issues with the login panel thus far

Userlevel 1

One of our biggest complaints regarding multi-domain/extended enterprise is that we have the root domain plus three additional domains. We do not place users in multiple branches to keep everything simple and organized. The problem comes up when a user belongs to a multi-domain, say https://docebo.docebo.com/partners (Docebo Auth), but they go to https://docebo.docebo.com/ to log in. There is an intermediate page which tell the user they do not have access to the requested domain, and shows them the domain they do have access to. Users don’t understand they can click the domain that is shown for access and request support. Since in our case we do not place users in multiple branches, and if a user belongs in one branch/domain, but logs into another, instead of showing them the 1 domain they have access to it should just forward the user directly to that domain. This would alleviate many issues!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey @tdconnelly, great question. I like some of the ideas posed here. There are a few other threads in the community that share a few ways to customize the login page. I think one of the following options might be able to help you and your client with their use case!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

If not using subdomains, would definitely explore some heavy CSS customization to the login page to make it clear what and where each user type goes. It would be worth grabbing a proper front end web dev for a couple hours of work for something like this.