Best Answer

Is it possible to remove the Share Content and Ask the Expert icons from the Channels pages?

Userlevel 4
Badge

We would like to launch using channels but at this time we do not want to allow everyone the ability to upload content or ask questions on the platform.  We would like to remove the two icons that show at the top right for sharing content and asking the expert from the All Channels page and the actual channels when they are opened up.  Does anyone know how to do this? 

Because they are built in there isn’t an option to turn them off like you can when you build your own page.  I could build my own page though it would mean a lot of manual work and then when people click on the channel they would still end up seeing these two icons.  

We could launch with them there as I know we can restrict who shared content but the challenge is that it is still there, the user can still click on it and go through the motions of uploading but then they get to the end and there is no channel to add it to.  So if I can restrict it why can I not just remove this as an option to avoid confusion?  

icon

Best answer by Adam Ballhaussen 29 March 2022, 15:55

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @pcarr not as far as I know...the built-in pages are not really editable...however when you create custom pages, you can decide whether to show those icons or not so you might want to create a custom Channels page and see if that works for you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I think you’d need to do that via the css, it should be possible, but we haven’t done this ourselves….sorry I can’t be more help.

Maybe ask your customer rep or the helpdesk?

Userlevel 4
Badge

From what we are seeing (my internal CSS guru) this may be an all or nothing - if you remove it in one place you remove it all over which is not what we wanted either.  Thanks all

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Unfortunately, I don’t know of any good way but I would still advise to build your own Custom Page.

If you simply create a custom page, disable the buttons there, add one widget for Channels and make it display All Channels, it’s not that much work. Shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes and pretty much looks the same.

It will still show the buttons inside of the channels as you said, but not on their main page so maybe you will avoid at least some of the questions.

Userlevel 4
Badge

I was able to do this and yes it is all or nothing but we were happy with that.  It was thru a CSS code

Have raised an idea for this. I’m sure plenty of us would like an easier way to turn off Ask the Expert at a channel level.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey @pcarr, it seems like you’ve been able to solve this via CSS in your platform. I’d like to circle back to this and provide a best answer based on the feedback others have shared in this thread.

There are currently two options to hide the Share Content and Ask the Expert icons from pages:

Use Custom Pages

As others mentioned in this thread, you can control whether or not custom pages display the Share Content and Ask the Expert buttons in the Additional Page Buttons section of the Properties tab of a custom page. If you’d like to limit a learner’s ability to perform these actions, you can use all custom pages for your learners rather than the built-in pages that show these options by default. @pcarr you correctly identified some of the limitations with this option in your original post.

Use CSS

You can use the following CSS to hide these buttons throughout the entire platform:

/*Hide Contribute button*/
doc-layout-action-buttons #contribute {
display: none;
}

/*Hide Ask the Expert Button*/
doc-layout-action-buttons #asktheexperts {
}

As a reminder, you can isolate CSS changes to any single page or any single widget via unique page & widget IDs that you find in the platform. You can learn more about this in the Introduction to Pages and Menus knowledge article. If you wanted to isolate the above CSS to only the All Channels page, for example, you could use the following code:

/*Hide Contribute button*/
doc-page-channels-dashboard .doc-layout-action-buttons #contribute {
}

/*Hide Ask the Expert Button*/
doc-page-channels-dashboard .doc-layout-action-buttons #asktheexperts {
}

Here’s a list of the IDs for built-in pages in the platform if you’d like to isolate the changes to any of these pages specifically:

Built-in Page Name Unique Page ID
My Courses and Learning Plans doc-page-my-courses
Course Catalog doc-page-catalog
All Channels doc-page-channels-dashboard
My Channel doc-page-my-channel
Questions & Answers doc-page-questions-and-answers
Subscription Plans doc-page-subscriptions
My Team doc-page-my-team
My Checklists doc-page-my-checklists
My Skills doc-page-channel-{channel_id}
My Skills doc-page-my-competencies
My Calendar doc-page-my-calendar

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Userlevel 1

Are we still at an “all or nothing” in terms of hiding this from built-in pages only?  

We want to disable the possibility to click the ‘Share Content’ / Contribute button only for the built-in ‘New Invitations & Subscriptions’ channel. But at the same time keep the possibility for users assigned to the custom channels to be able to upload their own assets. 

Userlevel 1

Are we still at an “all or nothing” in terms of hiding this from built-in pages only?  

We want to disable the possibility to click the ‘Share Content’ / Contribute button only for the built-in ‘New Invitations & Subscriptions’ channel. But at the same time keep the possibility for users assigned to the custom channels to be able to upload their own assets. 

@Adam Ballhaussen do you happen to know if there’s an update on this?
It has become quite critical for us. The idea is to give channels (all custom channels) upload possibilities (only certain users will have such channel). But at the same time not to allow users to use the built-in channel to upload assets that way.

@Adam Ballhaussen We are in a similar situation. We are trying to turn off the ‘Share Content’ button for all channel pages except for one. I tried using the code you provided above to achieve this but was unable to do so. The code to turn it off for the entire system works but the page specific one does not. My thought was to write the code to hide it for the system and then overwrite one page with the !important identifier. This got me to testing the page specific code you provided above and found that it was unsuccessful in hiding the button for a specific page. 

Was anyone able to figure out how the channel pages are identified in the system and write CSS code to directly target one page? 

Hi Everyone,

Apologies for reviving an old thread but I wanted to share an change I came across for hiding the “Ask the Experts” button with CSS.

Despite having CSS in place to hide it, the button started showing up again despite no changes being made by us. After digging further it seems the element id has been changed from “asktheexperts” to “asktheexpert”. A tiny chance but enough to break any existing customisations.

I amended our CSS to the following, which has once again hidden the button:

/*Hides Ask the Expert button on all pages */
doc-layout-action-buttons #asktheexpert {
display: none;
}

Hope this helps!