Less than elegant | Tracking Multiple Quiz Attempts Recipe

• 30 June 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Good evening everyone - now that I got a little bit of breathing room, I wanted to do a write up on a method to track multiple attempts using a third party tool. This is a slimmer use case that the use for a course that needs multiple attempts to support recurrence patterns (the same course every year for example)….it is more about tracking multiple attempts at a quiz effectively.

EasyGenerator is one of the more unique authoring solutions out there today because at its core? It is running a learning record store. To remain compatabile with learning systems, it supports a SCORM wrapper export to SCORM 1.2 or SCORM 2004 and the scoring options allow you to configure interesting scenarios. It does not say it nearly as technically as I just said it - it has an export option to “basic SCORM flavors” is probably the best way to put it. As a person takes the course and is being scored against it? The LRS is actually storing the answers in its “gradebook”. And yes - it will store the multiple attempts by the same user.

The gradebook is a report that is shareable via a private link so that it can be downloaded and monitored by instructors.

Let me show you the gradebook:

Thats me flubbing up the course twice. One time - I flat out failed.

That one time showing no results because I failed submit and the training material is set to a single view. When the learner leaves the course - the course locks itself because that is the count of views allowed against it. So as an instructor? I went in and reset the training material and you are seeing my sucky score against it. 

In Docebo, the training material report looks like this currently under the user statistics tab:

Looked up the persons name
Click on the learners name - and you commit a reset for the learning

So - the LRS holds onto the scoring down to the question level.

The course can be reset when it is set to a limited view….

And? I believe I have achieved a multiple reset of a quiz reasonably well for ya with tracking for said course.

Now one last piece and I have NOT tried it. EG goes even further...you can actually tell it an LRS endpoint under its scoring settings. Which means that detail can be pointed towards Docebo’s LRS and wait OMG….all records? One system?????? Maybe!!!

DM if this helps. I can walk you througfh a little more closely if you are interested.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Now one last piece and I have NOT tried it. EG goes even further...you can actually tell it an LRS endpoint under its scoring settings. Which means that detail can be pointed towards Docebo’s LRS and wait OMG….all records? One system?????? Maybe!!!

I haven’t looked at EasyGenerator in quite some time.  Nice discovery!

As for what you found with EasyGenerator, I think you may be opening up a whole new world of possibilities with alternative LRSes.  I know SCORM Cloud also provides a wrapper for any content hosted on their service, leaving all the detail on the SCORM Cloud side of things (handy if your LMS only wants to show you the most recent attempt).

Has anyone tried xAPI content in Docebo to see what level of past completions are saved  and displayed in it’s LRS vs. using an external one?

As an aside there are lots of LRS options available (some free). I found this helpful presentation online today:  
https://www.nordicadl.com/application/files/1915/5929/1947/Choosing_A_Learning_Record_Store.pdf   

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Some times necessity and requirements move the ball for us.

I am a HUGE fan of the Rustici software folk...true experts in their field.

Userlevel 1

You may be interested in the February release in Sandbox regarding multiple test attempts

[February 2023] Live in Sandbox: Segment Recipients for Notifications, Tracking Multiple Test Attempts and more! | Community (docebo.com)