Best Answer

Linking Course Catalogues to Widgets

• 18 November 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2

Hey everyone,

I have 100’s of course catalogs that are unique to groups and power users. Each catalog also has unique learning plans. Has anyone tied an icon or widget within a page to a specific catalog or have ideas on how to address this issue? Right now they have access to their course catalog, but I was trying to streamline things a little. 

Thanks,

Seth 

icon

Best answer by KMallette 18 November 2022, 17:14

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Seth Clark if you use the Catalogue widget, you can assign 1 or more custom catalogues to that widget so you could essentially create a unique widget for a single catalogue for each of your pages as needed.

Userlevel 2

@lrnlab Thank you for the quick reply. I am currently using 1 page that displays course catalog’s that are unique to a group. Would this solution require a sperate page for each group?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

yes since you only want to show 1 catalogue per group, hence each page is essentially unique...

Userlevel 2

that’s what I was hoping wouldn’t be the case. I would like to avoid creating what could mean 100s of pages. I thought would be a link to a URL that brought someone to the correct course catalog from a central landing page. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

unfortunately these widgets are not dynamic as you need to install a single link to wherever you want the users to go. If you expose them all on one page, users will only see what they are allowed to see and all other links would throw up an error.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Seth Clark I’ve done a couple of things with catalogs and widgets

1. Using a Custom Content widget I can link to a 1+ catalogs, like @lrnlab mentioned. On my platform an example is all of our English language catalogs, Spanish catalogs, etc. Each is a different widget.
  2. I’ve limited the number of pages by further customizing that widget by enrolling users in the catalogs that I want them to see. If they aren’t enrolled in the catalog, the widget doesn’t display them. On our platform this would be enrolling the users into the English ‘technical’ catalogs, but not the ‘sales’ catalogs. The learner then sees only the technical catalogs

Regards,

KMallette/Viasat, Inc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Seth ClarkI’ve done a couple of things with catalogs and widgets

1. Using a Custom Content widget I can link to a 1+ catalogs, like @lrnlab mentioned. On my platform an example is all of our English language catalogs, Spanish catalogs, etc. Each is a different widget.
  2. I’ve limited the number of pages by further customizing that widget by enrolling users in the catalogs that I want them to see. If they aren’t enrolled in the catalog, the widget doesn’t display them. On our platform this would be enrolling the users into the English ‘technical’ catalogs, but not the ‘sales’ catalogs. The learner then sees only the technical catalogs

Regards,

KMallette/Viasat, Inc.

agree that this works if users have access to more than 1 catalogue but maybe the premise works either way? Am just concerned that it will list all the other catalogues the user cannot see and display the message, “whoops, nothing to see”

Is that the case for you @KMallette 

Userlevel 7
Badge

@lrnlab As long as one catalog in that widget is assigned to the user, they shouldn’t see the “whoops” message. It won’t populate the titles of the other catalogs--they just won’t be there! :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thx @elliott.vickrey