Best Answer

Missing something- Creating org structures and adding user

I have a platform where some students will report to academic coaches and academic coaches report to admins. I have the following:

• Branches == internal users (current state within a school district) and branch external users for future state with students outside the school district.
  • There are 3 lesson plans, and one course that is outside a lesson plan. The lesson plans == grade level and will be available to all students, the course will only be available to students who report to a coach.
  • Additional fields for students to select what grade they are in, so they get enrolled into the corresponding lesson plan.
  • Moderated enrollment turned on (flexibile to change this if this doesn’t make sense)

What I am having a hard time piecing together is:

• Is there a better way to automatically enroll students into their corresponding grade?

This came to mind because I am also trying to figure out how to do the same for coaches. Currently, I have an additional field that for High School Jr. that enrolls them into that lesson plan. However, that doesn’t work for user type coach, and if I add additional fields then it muddies the student account creation experience since there is no logic built into the account creation pages.

Do I need channels? I am not going to purchase Discover, Learn.

Any suggestions?

tyia!

icon

Best answer by Annarose.Peterson 2 March 2023, 23:25

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

if you're able to capture the users’s grade level via your user import or creation process...seems this might be the best way forward for you. Are your coaches aligned to grade levels?

Essentially, if you want to give yourself more options when it comes to managing, reporting and assigning, the more info you can capture on the user profiles the better. With this info you can create groups which are very powerful in Docebo. Incidentally, channels also works with Groups + they have another great feature called Cohorts.

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021595739-Managing-Cohorts

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020124219-Creating-and-Managing-Channels

We are collecting grade by an additional field drop down that auto enrolls to the corresponding learning plan + the previous ones (i.e. if Senior, enrolls Jr learning plan, sr. learning plan). I think coaches would primarily be aligned to grade levels. 

Additionally, adding a layer of complexity to this, would students who don’t have a coach be in a different branch?

So then, do the learning plans become the channels? Or do learning plans go into channels go into learning plans, i.e. High School Channel > Sr. learning plan, Jr. Learning plan?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

We are collecting grade by an additional field drop down that auto enrolls to the corresponding learning plan + the previous ones (i.e. if Senior, enrolls Jr learning plan, sr. learning plan). I think coaches would primarily be aligned to grade levels. 

Additionally, adding a layer of complexity to this, would students who don’t have a coach be in a different branch? not sure, this would be your call 

So then, do the learning plans become the channels? Or do learning plans go into channels go into learning plans, i.e. High School Channel > Sr. learning plan, Jr. Learning plan? you can add your LP to channels 

still not entirely clear on what you are trying to solve though...if you are auto-enrolling based on user attributes, what do you need the channels for? Is mostly for user/coach interactions?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’m trying to understand your use case, but to answer the question about channels, don’t need channels for any assignment or visibility.  You can get away with using catalogs. 

For automatic enrollment, create groups for each grade level and have the users automatically assigned to the group based on the user additional field for the grade.  Then create an automatic enrollment rule for the Group to the Learning plan.  The moment someone is placed into a group, they will automatically be assigned to the learning plan. 

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020084100-Managing-Groups

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020128579-Activating-and-Managing-the-Enrollment-Rules-App

@lrnlab I was trying to figure out what I needed channels for based your previous reco.

@Annarose.Peterson that makes sense, thank you. How do you then enroll them to the next course (i.e. a jr. to a sr.?)

Also, is there a reason that auto enrollment wouldn’t be working?

What the student would see on the Catalog widget

What the student sees in the Catalog menu item

How the course is assigned to the catalog and group

Additional field

the user selected

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ah, you know what, the auto enrollment rules are a little tricky in that they are not retro-active.  If you have a group/branch already full of folks, and you add an enrollment rule, it will not automatically apply to the users that are already in the group or branch. It will only work for new users added to the group/branch after the enrollment rule was added.  A quick fix would be to batch enroll the folks who are already in the group/branch into the learning plan. 

Enrolling users into a learning plan in batch can be done in batch by going to the Groups/Branch options.

But once the enrollment rule is set up and make active, any new profile added to the group or branch will follow the automatic enrollment rule. 

For the Learning plans not appearing in catalogs (along with checking the enrollment rule retro-activity) make sure the Learning plans are assigned to the catalogs that are displayed on those pages, but also, make sure this setting in the Learning plan is selected:

Finally, for the auto-enrollment into the next learning plan.  You can manage that with groups and auto-enrollment rules.   Create a group with automatic assignment based on course completion.  And set the conditions of the group for anyone who has completed all of the courses within the JR learning plan are then automatically assigned to the Sr. Group. Then create that auto enrollment rule for the Senior group to the Senior Learning Plan.  Then once someone is automatically added to the senior group because they completed all of the Jr Learning plan courses, they will be automatically assigned to the next LP.

Ahh, it was that check box. What a weird place to put something like that, thank you. I would have never found that.

I think this is exactly what I am trying to achieve. Is there a way to get the catalogs to not stack vertically and instead lay out like cards?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I don’t think we have control over how those catalogs are stacked either on the Docebo built in page. 

If you are using the catalog widgets on your own built page, you can assign one catalog to each widget and have them arranged how you would like on the page.

Alternatively, you can use like the custom content or image widget and link them to each individual catalog.  This way the catalog will have like it’s own card, and when the user clicks it, they are taken to a separate designated catalog page. (I have done this and it works pretty well, it provides access to all of our available catalogs in a nice organized way).