Question

Onboarding with Multiple Languages

• 23 June 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi! I am looking for some best practices/tips/tools - We are new to Docebo and prepping to launch this summer. We are building our new hire onboarding into a Learning Plan, but have employees all over the world that will need to view training material we are uploading in different languages. 

Does anyone have employees across the globe that can share some tips for either onboarding or general use of the LMS?

5 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi Simone,

Unfortunately you can’t combine multiple languages in one course or have a learning plan where users can pick between different language versions of a course (you can but then they wont be able to complete the whole learning plan). Whenever we launch material for our clients in multiple markets/languages we usually create one learning plan per market/language.

However, I think I read somewhere on this forum that learning plans are getting a much needed overhaul so fingers crossed that it will become possible to offer more flexible learning plans in the future.

Also, when launching in several markets don’t forget to create notification text for each language you support. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Thank you Richard. It is a bit tricky because we are creating the courses and loading them ourselves.. so really we just need the flexibility to have a course within a learning plan where the user has multiple options for a training materials where they choose 1 and that completes the entire course. That is how we do it now in the LMS we are transitioning from. 

For the separate learning plans you create, do you then assign the plan to users in different areas based on location? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @simone.yaghi have you thought about using folders inside a course to group your language-specific learning objects? Additionally, you can use a single learning object as the “end object marker” to mark the course as completed regardless of what language they chose; this could be a single survey delivered in all languages with a simple, single question...something like an acknowledgment…

As for the Learning plans...you could use a similar approach depending on how you plan to use courses. If you create individual courses for each language, you could add them all to the same LP but have each language provide “equivalent” credit to the other languages so when a user completes 1 language track, they are marked as completed on the entire LP….

Not the most elegant solutions but we have to be a bit inventive at this time...hopefully we’ll see some language-centric improvements coming soon.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Thank you @lrnlab I have not thought about folders yet.. I found some info here: https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020080300-Creating-and-Managing-E-learning-Courses#:~:text=Folders%20are%20very%20useful%20when,name%20and%20save%20your%20changes.

Is this what you are referring to?

I was thinking equivalency is how we’d have to go about this if we want to avoid creating separate LP’s for each language. Do you recommend either or?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @simone.yaghi i think of you use folders to a single course you probably don’t need to use equivalencies.