Question

Scorm files not updating

• 2 November 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi has anyone else had a problem with Scorm files updating for users. 

When we replace a Scorm file with a newer edition ie due to a typo or something minor, we want to replace the file. Currently the old file is still showing for anyone who has previously completed the course. Rather than the new file. The only way we’ve found to show the new file is to delete the old one and add a new file, which loses all the completion data.

Any ideas, would be greatly appreciated.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Lucy.blake - SCORM overwrites are finicky at best. I have always wrote off the inconsistency of what a learner sees after an overwrite on two things:

• the change committed changed the structure of the course
  • learners were on the page in question that you committed the change to.

Docebo supports overwrites and versioning of a SCORM file as you move it into the CLOR as well. I am curious if that makes a difference with the use case you are running into.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@Lucy.blake - SCORM overwrites are finicky at best. I have always wrote off the inconsistency of what a learner sees after an overwrite on two things:

• the change committed changed the structure of the course
  • learners were on the page in question that you committed the change to.

I’d also add caching in the learner’s browser to this list. Sometimes a browser refresh works, but not consistently.  There are times it requires the learner to clear out their browser cache manually in order to see the newest files.  This can also be a helpful Chrome extension for testing: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/classic-cache-killer/kkmknnnjliniefekpicbaaobdnjjikfp

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Adding to Ed’s note? I have had a SCO get so bad for a learner? That refreshes of a browser is the only thing that drove it forward….I actually warn people that when they go down the path of working with SCOs (depending on the authoring tool and out put) they are only resilient to change up to a point...at one point or another - just adding a new version becomes the best path.