Some Encouragement for Those Who Want to Code

• 31 May 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I just thought I would take a moment to provide some general ideas and encouragement for those who are interested in learning how to code some HTML and CSS. The word “CODE” might bring along some of the same anxiety that the word “MATH” does for some people but - fear not! You can do this and I think you will be so glad that you did. No formal schooling required...

1. The Browser Console is Your Friend!

I really suggest that you take time to get familiar with the browser console if you aren’t already. The Elements tab of the console will reveal a great deal of styling and code that is currently in play and even allow you to make changes for immediate rendering in the browser without permanently changing anything. Once you find the style and look you want - you can make changes in your actual file or platform. You should be able to either press F12 on a webpage or right click and choose Inspect or some other similar phrasing depending on your browser.

1. Don’t Be Afraid to Experiment!

As stated in point number 1 above - you can even make changes and see the results in real time without actually modifying the source files. If you make a change you hate - change it back or simply refresh the browser and everything is back to normal. It will be very useful to practice making adjustments to see how specific code is applied. This is especially true when you compare the HTML with the CSS to see how the two are connected.

1. Take Time For Professional Development!

Places like W3Schools and YouTube are extremely valuable for learning new things. Don’t shy away from these places and take time to study and absorb all you can from these places among others. You’re never too old to learn something new but you have to take initiative and strive to improve your skillset. Invest in yourself - you’re worth it!

1. Establish Connections With Others Who Can Help!

The Docebo Community is a great place to start. There are a lot of folks here that know their stuff and we’re even a pretty friendly bunch. There are lots of online forums out there too and you may even know someone in your family who has went to school for this sort of thing and can drop you some sweet nuggets from time to time. If you’re stuck - ask questions - that’s part of how we learn and we’ve been asking questions since we were toddlers.

1. Hang in There!

Learning code is like learning a new language and it will take time but you can do it!

Like a piano, success has many keys. One of those keys is perseverance in the belief that one day - YOU WILL!

Allow all the professional development and experimentation with HTML and CSS in the console motivate you to dig in even deeper. The experience is rewarding.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Well said @gstager .

We fumble and make mistakes to learn and be successful elsewhere.