Subscription Codes - small app that has proved to be very useful

• 19 May 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I found a little know app called Subscription Codes (similar to Enrolment links but more powerful). We were searching for a solution for a business requirement to have a password on exams that is unfortunately not a feature in Docebo.

For some content, we have strict rules about who can see test questions and answers (or even can set up the content - those admins are required to sign a confidentiality agreement) in order to maintain the integrity and confidentiality of the content. In addition, we needed way to prevent users from being able to  launch a course containing these exams as they are proctored.

We came upon the Subscription Code app (had to ask Docebo to load it for us). This app allows you to completely hide your courses; no need to place the courses in any catalogues (to everyone except the super admins and the person who created the course) until it is ready to be consumed by the user. The app allows us to create unique, one-time use codes that are only valid for a specific time frame and can also be configured to provide access to a single course or several, as needed.

We then created a page where the proctor can enter the code they were provided and the user is instantly enrolled into the course and able to complete it. We set our exams to allow only 1 attempt in order to prevent users who fail from completing multiple attempts; so if they fail, they need to request a new code.

Proctors are sent these codes via confidential email and only they have the power to allow a user to start the course. We have been using this for over a year now and the feedback has been positive. The proctors are ushered toward the page below to enter the code they were provided.

Here’s what our Subscription Code inout page looks like:

This little app has saved the day for these types of exams.

If you’d like to know more or have questions, please let me know.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@lrnlab 

How do you communicate the codes for each individual to the proctors?

What proctoring service do you use, or do you handle exam proctoring internally?

How do you handle users who fail and need to retake the exam?

We’re having a lot of trouble with our proctored exams (also using subscription codes), so would love to learn more about how you are managing them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@lrnlab 

How do you communicate the codes for each individual to the proctors? while creating the codes, we copy them in to an excel spreadsheet since we create unique codes for each course and then they are sent to the proctors via email

What proctoring service do you use, or do you handle exam proctoring internally? internally...we tried a few proctor services and found them to be overly complicated in some cases

How do you handle users who fail and need to retake the exam? for courses that contain exams, these are set to 1 attempt only and the exam itself is only available during a specific window so if anyone fails, they cannot move forward without admin intervention. Currently our client prefers to have the user reset (first attempt is wiped out after a report is taken) and then we re-publish the exam so they can try it again...Another option is to create an entirely new course for exam re-writes only and create subscription codes for this new course that can be handed out in the same manner...either way works well but the latter maintains both employee records on the LMS - if that’s what you prefer

We’re having a lot of trouble with our proctored exams (also using subscription codes), so would love to learn more about how you are managing them.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@lrnlab that’s exactly how we are handling it as well, with the exception of having a 3rd party proctor versus doing it internally. We have found it extremely cumbersome to maintain.

I wish we could assign multiple attempts and just use a proctor code to unlock the attempt as is done in other LMS systems. I put in a suggestion on it, if you would like to add a vote when it is available. ID: [LMS-I-4824]

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @angel.maenza I agree...our exams are extremely tightly controlled and only open twice per year so this works for us but if you only need a ‘cool down’ period, you can set that up in the Test itself...have you tried that? that might help to alleviate some of the burden if you can organize it with your proctors…

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@lrnlab we looked into that; unfortunately, once the cooldown is complete they can see the questions and answers (even if they aren’t in a proctoring session), which is what we are trying to prevent by using subscription codes. Our exam is for a certification on our product and is available all year to our partners around the world. We generally have 20-30 tests per month and the demand is growing quickly. 

We currently do as you do and clear out a previous attempt after recording their score in an excel file. It might work to have multiple exams set up instead (one for each attempt), but I’m afraid our proctors would get confused as to which code they should be handing out, or what attempt the user is on. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

We currently do as you do and clear out a previous attempt after recording their score in an excel file. It might work to have multiple exams set up instead (one for each attempt), but I’m afraid our proctors would get confused as to which code they should be handing out, or what attempt the user is on.  

Agree this can be confusing however you can guard against using incorrect codes when you set them up by only assigning a group of codes to 1 course and another set to the 2nd course...If you lock the exams after a single attempt, the proctor would only be able to manage the 2nd one...not sure if that would work for you in the mean time...