Question

Tagging Strategies?

• 30 June 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

As we work to manage our content library effectively and optimize our user experience, we’d like to leverage “tags” that are associated with our training materials (learning objects). Of course this is something much easier said than done! Does anyone have an effective tagging management system or process to share? How are you using tags, and for what purpose (both in and out of the LMS)? Do you find tags to be an effective way to manage content effectively? 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

hi @danwinter, personally, I think the main reason why you should use tags is to help users find your courses. When they use the Search function at the top of the Docebo page, it helps find better results when you include tags in your courses.

There’s nothing special about the way we try to use tags. They are mostly single words that best describe the content of the course, e.g. “communication”, “leadership”, “remote work”, etc. The more, the better as long as they are relevant to the content and not farfetched.

One final note - even if you don’t include tags yourself, Docebo adds them to your content automatically. It’s quite useful and will save you some work but I would advise to always check the automatically-added ones. Most often the results are good but sometimes you can find something funny as well :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @danwinter I agree with @abartunek I have done some testing with tags and while the auto-tags generated by Docebo are helpful at times, many times they are irrelevant so please watch for those…

If you do update your tags with what your perceive to be relevant search terms for that particular content and course, the universal search engine works very well...In some cases, I use the course title (or a shortened version) and it works almost like SEO (Search Engine Optimization) on websites. I do recommend the use of tags

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Knowing what the search bar is looking for is great if you want to optimize search results.

We needed people to be able to find a course not just the training material associated with it. So I used the image below to help me work out how. I tagged not only the training material, but added an additional (hidden) field to the course. This meant the course then was searchable with these tags. The course ID was changed to have a key word in it. The training material description and the course descriptions were changed to add in key words. This meant that when people search for this course they find it first time. It also means courses that are less relevant drop further down the search list. 

Hope this helps with the tagging.

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020127199-Using-the-Platform-s-Global-Search