Time Tracking Inconsistencies in Docebo

• 19 May 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

My organization has an initiative for 2021 to drive training - both inside of Docebo and out - by making training hours a part of everyone’s quarterly bonus objectives.

However, the more we use Docebo, the more we are finding that the nuances of time tracking vary widely depending on the type of training (Courses, Classrooms, External, etc.) as well as the type of course material (video, SCORM module, etc.).

For example, we had a learner recently take a course with a 5 minute SCORM module and leave their tab open (we assume).  They ended up getting almost 260 hours of Total Time for this.

I have proposed that we use the course Average Time or even Credits (CEUs) to report on time tracking for the bonus metric but it has not been a popular idea amongst our Super Admins.

Has anyone dealt with this in Docebo and, if so, how has your organization decided to handle training time that’s real vs. a nuance of a tab or module?

Thank you in advance for any ideas!!

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @jocie.nylec, I would suggest using the session lifetime. that would time out the users, so they would need to be active. However this does have some issues with tracking. Verbiage would need to go out to the users about the session time out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @jocie.nylec, I would suggest using the session lifetime. that would time out the users, so they would need to be active. However this does have some issues with tracking. Verbiage would need to go out to the users about the session time out.

agree with @generic name 

in addition, you can use the “average time to complete course” option for eLearning when reporting on user completions. The CEU’s are better used to track Continuing education credits as it is not formatted to track time. Please note that some reports show time in SECONDS (strange but true) so you’ll need to apply some formulas, etc. to track time in hours, minutes and seconds.

Userlevel 1

@generic name  - Thank you for the Session lifetime note because that page actually includes another “issue” that people have raised.  I also notice that our Session lifetime is set to 10,800 seconds so that leads me to believe we might also be able to resolve this with some changes to the course in question.  Thank you so much!

@lrnlab - on the “average time”, have you had any complaints from users about needing to accommodate for, let’s say, the fact they read slower or anything like that?  That’s what I was thinking about using but wasn’t sure if I might be walking into an “it’s not fair” conversation...

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@jocie.nylec none at all...it may depend on what the courses are for. I usually try and keep the meaning of “average time to complete course” separate from tracking “CEUs”. Generally approved CEUs have been reviewed by a 3rd party that agree to the overall value of units for a course regardless of how much time it may take a single individual to complete it compared to another. This keeps the values consistent for all users. You may want to use both in your case and be more strict about the CEUs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @jocie.nylec, it’s so cool that your organization is prioritizing training in such a radical way by incorporating it into quarterly bonus objectives. I love that!

I agree with all of the feedback that has been shared here. @generic name and @lrnlab shared some really helpful tips re: time tracking. I don’t have much to add to this advice about how to most efficiently and accurately track training time in Docebo. I do, however, have a few questions for you about the decision to use training hours as a core KPI for quarterly bonuses.

1. What was the primary reason that drove using training hours as a core KPI for compensation?
  2. Are you measuring any other training KPIs in addition to training hours? If so, what are they?
  3. If you aren’t measuring any other KPIs, did your organization consider using alternatives to training hours?

@lrnlab brought up a good point that different individuals may learn at different speeds and may have different preferred methods of learning. My concern would be that compensating solely based on training hours (specifically for E-Learning and not ILT) might reward the wrong behavior or punish some learners (like those who learn more quickly) unfairly by requiring them to take more training than those who learn more slowly. Is this something you’ve considered? I look forward to learning more from you!

Jumping in here as we actually use the Time Tracking functionality for accreditation purposes. We would actually prefer if the session timeout window could be shorter (and set based on level of user - users vs power users) - partially to accommodate for this issue where its a more accurate reflection of how long a user is spending in the course and is ACTIVE but also to allow for the different types of users to be restricted based on the types of activities they might be completing in the system.