Best Answer

'Training' and using the Virtual Coach

• 28 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi

We currenlty have the Virtual Coach feature disabled in our platform and we’re evaluating whether we should activate it next year.

I’ve read the KB articles but they all seem pretty high level so before proceeding I thought I’d ask if anyone in the community has any experiences they could share in relation to using the feature? Pros & cons, tips & tricks?

In theory, it sounds great but a couple of things have me a little worried:

1. we operate a continuing professional development program for tax, accounting and legal practitioners and much of the language in our courses is ‘technical’ or has specific meaning. I don’t expect Virtual Coach will cope well with this. Is there any way we can ‘train’ it before letting it loose on all our customers?
  2. the idea of prompting users to resume a course or letting them know that some new content is avaiable sounds great but how often does it happen? Is there any way to control the frequency of these push notifications or potentially turn some of them off? For those users who find the notifications to be spammy or annoying, are they able to suppress them in any way?

I did look for answers to these questions in the Knowledge Based but if I missed them or they are already available elsewhere please point me in the right direction.

Many thanks.

icon

Best answer by peppo_valetto 29 October 2021, 15:52

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

HI @david.stock we have it ON selectively across a couple sub domains...At first it seemed to just suggest arbitrary courses but the more you use it the better it gets. Not exactly sure what drives the suggestions, recommendations etc. but would think it is also based on the keywords and use of tags. It’s designed to learn from the user based on the interactions so users need to devote some time to interacting with the coach for the recommendations to improve. I suspect of you add proper tags to your content, assets, etc. you might be able to drive some of the recommendations and suggestions. Not sure if a Docebian can add more here...

Userlevel 2

Hi @david.stock and thanks for your questions.
Besides the point already made by @lrnlab I would like to offer the following answers:

1. The Virtual Coach and the Machine Learning models behind it are trained on (a whole lot) of generic English, because the Virtual Coach conversational engine must interact with Learners from many diverse domains and industries.
    However, there are some provision that help the Virtual Coach in YOUR platform to remain focused upon the specific notions and concept that are relevant to it.
    Most importantly, the Virtual Coach has access to text from all the training materials that have been loaded onto your platform (including spoken audio extracted as text from multimedia content!). That is instrumental - among other things - for the Questions&Answer and topic search features of the Virtual Coach.
    For example, if you upload in your platform a content about the "2021 Covid tax rebate" the Virtual Coach will "read it"  (so to speak), and will try to answer to a question like
    "how much is the Covid rebate for individuals?", or  address requests like "find me content on the Covid rebate"
  2. In order to remain relevant and valuable, and to avoid fatigue or overloading on the part of the Learner - which are very valid concerns - that kind of "nudging" by the virtual coach happens currently approximately once every 5-6 days. It is the Virtual Coach itself which decides when to send the next push notification to a given Learner, and it will try to estimate a moment in which they are at work, and possibly engaged with the Learning Platform. But the average frequency of those notifications remains almost constant.
    We could make such frequency a parameter that can be changed from the Virtual Coach settings panel, if there is a widespread need for it.

I hope the above is useful. Please contact me if you want to discuss more in depth about the topics above, or anything else related to the Virtual Coach behavior and your use cases.
Also, we have very recently updated its Knowledge Base entry:
https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020126139-Interacting-with-the-Virtual-Coach
There you can find links to specific pages for each of the current Virtual Coach features, with a significant amount of detail.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@david.stock Curious if you have enabled it? We are in the legal field and just finished implementing Docebo. I have virtual coach disabled right now for similar reasons you listed but was curious what your experience has been if you enabled it.