Using API to extract Skills Report

• 31 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

We’ve launched the My Skills feature and have been looking for a way to report on the number of people who have completed the Skills setup wizard. Unfortunately, we haven’t been able to find a way (would love to know if you have an idea) and there is no way to export Skills information from the Skills Management page.

However, we’ve had success using the Skill API called “Retrieve The Entire Skills List” then putting that call into Postman and running it a sufficient number of times to capture all of our skills information (since each page of the export has a maximum of 200 records), saving each page as a JSON file and merging them in one Excel report. If that sounds complicated, it’s not really - it’s just a matter of steps, each one of which isn’t too hard (thanks to @Bfarkas).

Our report allows us to see and sort by the same data as on the Skills Management page such as number of people who chose a certain skill or number of content items tagged with a skill. 

Why is this important? This data shows us what skills people are most interested in developing, which skills we’ve covered sufficiently, and the skills people say they want to develop that we have no content currently to address. By exporting this report each month, we can track our progress over time and put our efforts to the most productive use. 

How to get started (and apologies that this isn’t a true step by step guide):

1. Get to know the API browser by watching the Community Coaching sessions on API’s and Postman 

1. Set up Postman using the instructions/templates Brian provides here:

In that last area, you’ll also see notes on how to Export JSON files and merge them in Exel.

I’m totally new to this. If I can do it you can do it.

Good luck!

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

So proud of you working through all this! You should do an Inspire session this year!!

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thanks, @Bfarkas . If I see you at an event, I owe you a drink!