Do y'all use h264 or h265?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’ve been using h264 but figured I should probably in fact be using h265.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

We use H.264 and I hadn’t really considered it before reading your post. It looks like H.265 has better compression, results in much smaller file sizes, and is better for streaming. I wonder what happens when Docebo converts the video though. Does it retain the settings of the source file or convert it to something else?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I would think that an mp4-wrapped h264 or h265 would be left as-is, but who knows! It is definitely better for streaming afaik.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

We’ve been using h264 part 10.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@elliott.vickrey Do you know who Stefano R is, and might they be able to weigh in (or someone else) on the best codec?

BTW regarding the “blurring” at the start, I’ve found that using a MBPS rate around 2 is much better than a MBPS rate of 10-20 to reduce - but not eliminate - this problem. Sadly, our intro to all videos has sound in it that sounds not amazing when “blurred” (compressed) within the first 1 second.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I use both for different things, don’t do much direct docebo uploads so can’t advise much there. In general I do h264 unless I know the platform/service fully supports h265 without issues. I run into occasional enough issues in various places that it feels like it’s not quite there to be my always go to get. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Supposedly 265 is about 30% smaller file size with comparable quality - according to Google. 

Also what MBPS do people here use for native Docebo video player? Most of our trainings are someone standing in front of a static greenscreened background, so they compress REALLY well. The lower the MBPS the better resolution most users will get, and the faster the preloading/live loading at the start of the video - that “blurring”/artifacting. 1mbps even looks pretty good. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I had to check this as we generally just use the default settings in our video editor. The settings are as follows:

Size: 1920 x 1080

Frame rate: 30 fps

Video bitrate: About 7500 kbps

Audio bitrate: 128 kbps

Codec: H.264

Color mode: NTSC

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@Bfarkas  Stefano R is one of the  Docebo support team 

Cheers, Gary

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Bfarkas  Stefano R is one of the  Docebo support team 

Cheers, Gary

Thanks Gary, I think @lrodman was asking though, I know Stefano well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’m just honored to be mistaken for Bfarkas!

@stefano.rotunno are you the right Stefano?

Userlevel 2

Hi guys, sorry to be late, I’ve just been in holiday for a couple of days, yes Stefano R it’s me, stefano.rotunno :).

Please let me know if i can help you guys with anything :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi guys, sorry to be late, I’ve just been in holiday for a couple of days, yes Stefano R it’s me, stefano.rotunno :).

Please let me know if i can help you guys with anything :)

Happy holiday! 

We’re trying to figure out the best codec for the default native docebo video player please.

h264 or h265?

Userlevel 2

According with our knowledge base https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020128359-Uploading-and-Converting-Video-Training-Material, under Technical specifications, Once a video file is uploaded, the system will automatically convert it in MP4 or HLS format with the following specifications:

I hope this can be helpful :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks @stefano.rotunno

We all should have checked the knowledge base!

Userlevel 2

Anytime 😉 @Daniel

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That’s weird then… what’s up with that one person who’s having issues with h265?

In any case, thanks Stefano!

Any plans to add 265 in the future?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

That’s weird then… what’s up with that one person who’s having issues with h265?

In any case, thanks Stefano!

Any plans to add 265 in the future?

@lrodman Maybe the conversion process from 265 to 264 is causing the issues.

Userlevel 2

Hi Guys, sorry to let you wait, I had a talk with the product manager involved in this topic and at the moment I cannot tell you more since i didn’t get any useful info, my apologies.

I tried 🤷🏽.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks for trying!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi Guys, sorry to let you wait, I had a talk with the product manager involved in this topic and at the moment I cannot tell you more since i didn’t get any useful info, my apologies.

I tried 🤷🏽.

All we can do is try 😀