Best Answer

Need help with CSV Enrollment template file

Userlevel 1
Badge

Can someone please share the required date format for the CSV enrollment field? The documentation in Docebo University suggests that the template contains the required format, but I keep getting “Please enter a valid date format string for: active_until” errors. 

I also noticed that when I upload my template, the process does not see or recognize my course courses. It doesn’t appear as one of the options to move over to the right. Is there a minimum character requirement for course codes? 

icon

Best answer by anne.bucci 7 July 2022, 00:12

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 3

I believe you need to enter them in yyyy-mm-dd but the formatting makes it look differently.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

This is definitely something that needs some better documentation. I think I got some guidance pdfs from support early on in deployment, but once I had a few configurations good never looked again.

@rich.schmick is right in that being the proper date format for most things around the system. I think course codes need 3 characters but I may have made that up, but it should see the data regardless, just missing the matching header. Some of the titles are a bit confusing in that column mover screen though.

Userlevel 2

Make sure you are mapping course codes and not course IDs to your data fields.  Course ID is the internal Docebo field where Course Code is the one you enter when creating a course.

As for the date format, yes it is yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss.  If the time is 00:00:00 (midnight) I would suggest making the times 12:00:00 with a simple Replace command.  That way if timezones are different, the date would remain the same and not a day prior.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Make sure you are mapping course codes and not course IDs to your data fields.  Course ID is the internal Docebo field where Course Code is the one you enter when creating a course.

As for the date format, yes it is yyyy-mm-dd.  If the time is 00:00:00 (midnight) I would suggest making the times 12:00:00 with a simple Replace command.  That way if timezones are different, the date would remain the same and not a day prior.

Excellent point on the timezones! I always forget about this as it is like second nature by now.

Userlevel 2

I have the somewhat similar issue.  Regardless of how I format the date and time, whenever you save to csv - microsoft excel changes the format to your systems format.  For example if I set the active_until  to 2024-01-01 05:00:00 PM or 2024-01-01 17:00:00 - when the files is converted to csv it is changed to 01/01/2024 17:00

I have the somewhat similar issue.  Regardless of how I format the date and time, whenever you save to csv - microsoft excel changes the format to your systems format.  For example if I set the active_until  to 2024-01-01 05:00:00 PM or 2024-01-01 17:00:00 - when the files is converted to csv it is changed to 01/01/2024 17:00

Same here

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Same here

It actually isn’t, it is when you re-open a CSV file in excel that the conversion happens. If you just save it, don’t open, it will retain your format. If you use a non-excel program to open the file (like notepad++ or sublime, or even normal notepad) you can open to confirm this. You have to be careful with csv generation if using excel, basically treat the save as step as the final output and don’t open it unless you have a way to read it without transformation. 

Userlevel 2

When creating the import file - it typically starts as Excel, in Excel - you change the format using Format Cells  and then you do a Save As .csv.  Even when I save and don’t open as soon as I drag it to import - it still rejects the date format.   As an alternative - I tried to change it to Text to keep the date format intact - which obviously gets rejected in Docebo. 

Microsoft sets the date/time based on your PC system settings. The only way I have successfully gotten this to work is to change my system settings.   Settings > Time and Language > Language and Region.  Expand the Regional Format section to expose the Format Settings.  Change the short date to YYY-MM-DD.  And it still doesn’t respect the time.

This traick, however, changes the format for the system as a whole and so all your excel files will use that format

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/excel-csv-date-type-automatic-conversion/539567b2-21de-4f91-9d79-561f6a7c9818

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

When creating the import file - it typically starts as Excel, in Excel - you change the format using Format Cells  and then you do a Save As .csv.  Even when I save and don’t open as soon as I drag it to import - it still rejects the date format.   As an alternative - I tried to change it to Text to keep the date format intact - which obviously gets rejected in Docebo. 

Microsoft sets the date/time based on your PC system settings. The only way I have successfully gotten this to work is to change my system settings.   Settings > Time and Language > Language and Region.  Expand the Regional Format section to expose the Format Settings.  Change the short date to YYY-MM-DD.  And it still doesn’t respect the time.

This traick, however, changes the format for the system as a whole and so all your excel files will use that format

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/excel-csv-date-type-automatic-conversion/539567b2-21de-4f91-9d79-561f6a7c9818

Yikes, don’t change you’re PC settings, using the =text() formula in your cells instead and put the right format in, when you save csv out as long as you don’t open that csv in excel again(as the formula is gone) it will hold the format.