Power User Profiles as an alternative to the My Team function

• 11 August 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone is using Power User Profiles as an alternative to the My Team function for managers. We’ve been using the My Team function, but our managers find it quite limiting for the following reasons:

• A lack of metrics on the My Team cards means they have to drill down individually into each card to get the information they need. This is not the best solution when they have hundreds of team members.
  • Inability to change enrollment deadlines they set for team members.
  • Inability to cancel enrollments they made by mistake.

Our CSM has suggested setting up a Power User Profile to get around these limitations, so I’d love to hear your thoughts on how effective this can be.

5 replies

Userlevel 4

@Daniel We use Power User profiles to extend access to reporting and allow downloads of printable PDFs of transcripts to get around the limited functionality of the My Team Dashboard. It works pretty well.

I’ve had to do quite a bit of training on Excel use to make it more user friendly for our less technically inclined folks, but it is really the only way to get a good overall view of enrollment/completion metrics for a large team. As you mentioned, individually drilling down into each person’s tile is not efficient in any way when you have more than a handful of team members. 

We have found that the power user permissions have been acceptable in setting parameters for what these individuals can and can’t do. One caveat (for our set up at least), it’s easier to automate access to the My Team Dashboard. The power user profiles and resources are all manually assigned which does take a bit of time. It is a reasonable trade off to avoid pulling and sending a boatload of customized reports every time a leader needs an update. 

Userlevel 2

@Daniel we use power user profiles extensively as well as the My Team function. For customers, we find that setting a power user up instead of just using My Team allows them to have visibility of some additional admin functionality which is more advanced. We normally still give them access to My Team as well to allow them to enrol their staff on courses that are available to them through the catalogues. We create template reports as superadmins and assign them to the power user so that they can run their own reports without having to create them from scratch so they can track all course progress. Our power user profile for customers is quite limited but gives them what they need without giving away too many admin rights! As Megan said, adding the resources does take a bit of time but it is worth it to give them some autonomy on the system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@megan.fralix and @rgill29 

Thanks for the insights!

Userlevel 1

My team is currently in the process of prepping for our official roll out so I have spent a significant amount of time digging into both of these permission types to determine what would fit us better. After presenting both possibilities, we have opted into utilizing the power user structure at this time only without My Teams. I do see a use case for My Teams in the future but we want to make sure we’re empowering our power users and using those profiles allows us a degree of flexibility with that since we’ll have approximately 3 different power user types with various degrees of ability. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@robrien Yes, you definitely get more flexibility with power users. I’m hoping My Team will be upgraded in the future, but right now there are too many limitations to make it that useful for managers. If you get a chance, please vote for the following ideas as it would be great to have an out of the box solution that gives managers what they need.