Skip to main content
Question

Manager Approval for Courses: Minimum PowerShell Access and Resources needed

• 21 May 2024
  • 8 replies

We want to define courses that are configured with self-enrollment allowed with Approval.  We want the employee’s manager to have to approve their employee’s enrollment in such classes.  We know the manager has to be a power user.  But I’m unsure exactly which permissions and which resources need assigned.  We need to apply the minimum permissions needed. 

We’ve created a page with the task list widget with “Course enrollment approvals” turned on, and added this page to the manager’s menu so they could see what users are waiting for approval for enrollment.

We do have a group matching the manager’s direct reports  assigned as a resource.  What specific permissions need granted in the profile assigned to the Power User manager?  And what resources must be assigned?  Between resources and permissions there’s so many options and I’ve not yet hit on a combination that allows the manager to approve.  Has someone else achieved this and can advise?

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

This is a great question. For assigned resources, each manager should have their reports assigned to them under the created group along with the courses they should have the permissions to approve. 

For the profile permissions, you will need the following:

• Users > Custom > View
  • Enrollment > Custom > Can only Enroll Learners & Can activate enrollments
  • ILT Sessions > Custom > Enroll User & Edit Enrollment
  • Courses > Custom > Waiting Subscription (possibly also evaluation if you plan to have them review things)

At least these are the settings I would enable to execute what you have expressed as your goal.

Thanks @emily.mason .  The piece I was missing was assigning the course as a resource to the power user.  I had assigned a catalog and hoped that would work to grant access to approve enrollment for every course in the catalog.  But it didn’t work until I assigned the course.

So with that in mind, it sounds like a lot of work to edit every manager/power user and add every new “self-enrolled with approval” course each time they are created.  Could I just add the “All courses” resource option for these users?  If their Power User permissions profile only allows the Courses permission of “Waiting Subscription” they can’t really do anything with the courses can they?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Thanks @emily.mason .  The piece I was missing was assigning the course as a resource to the power user.  I had assigned a catalog and hoped that would work to grant access to approve enrollment for every course in the catalog.  But it didn’t work until I assigned the course.

So with that in mind, it sounds like a lot of work to edit every manager/power user and add every new “self-enrolled with approval” course each time they are created.  Could I just add the “All courses” resource option for these users?  If their Power User permissions profile only allows the Courses permission of “Waiting Subscription” they can’t really do anything with the courses can they?

Correct, they will not be able to modify the course and will only be able to execute actions on enrolled users in the groups you create with the assigned users. 

@emily.mason thanks again.  Do you happen to know what option a manager should select if they don’t want to approve enrollment?  My manager tried the Suspended option but got a permission error.  So either I told him the wrong option to select, or I’m missing some important permission.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

So to include enrollment deletions, they may need the following permissions as well:

• Verify ILT Sessions > Custom > Edit Enrollment (this is ILTs only)
  • Enable Enrollment > Custom > Can only Enroll Learners & Can activate enrollments but add Edit & Delete.

This should add the Unenroll option. 

You’re awesome @emily.mason.  That gave me just what I needed.  Thanks so much for your time!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@twine2024 Happy to help! Doing these sort of exercises helps me to think of use cases and also to develop our power user curriculum I am currently developing. So THANK YOU as well 😁

Hello! Im interested with this solution as we have the same usecase. But i dont know in the first place where to enable self-enrollment with Approval. I could only see option for course enrolment pending admin approval, but not the manager’s. Could you please guide me where? thanks!