Question

Docebo Connect Outlook - Updating calendar appointments

• 23 January 2024
  • 5 replies

I’ve recently learned that if you update a future event in Docebo that unless the update is within 2 days of creation the recipe will stop with an error and thereby not update the Outlook calendar invite. Does anyone have a workaround for this limitation? I ideally do not want to have to duplicate the event and delete the old one which is what I have been advised to do, as this will create confusion for end users. 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Agree...are you saying that support recommended that approach as a fix or  workaround?

Seems odd that something that is clearly not working as expected would be normal. We have just implemented Connect for Outlook and haven't seen this issue before. I will watch for it and perhaps even create a test case. 

Agree...are you saying that support recommended that approach as a fix or  workaround?

Seems odd that something that is clearly not working as expected would be normal. We have just implemented Connect for Outlook and haven't seen this issue before. I will watch for it and perhaps even create a test case. 

Yes support advised it was expected behaviour and said:

“In your case, I would suggest duplicating the event and modifying the duplicated event as opposed to the existing one, as only the events from the Outlook calendar 2 days before the job run date will be retrieved to check for the existence of LMS events in Outlook Calendar.”

Frustrating behaviour for us as we frequently have location changes.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Wow... 

We don’t have an active Outlook Connector over here, but I can see a bunch of example recipes for it. So I think I was able to find the problematic part of the recipe that you’re describing: 

The ⚠️ warning symbol is there because I’m not connected to Outlook. But also? Yikes.

So, without even having a live connection to test, I’m not sure how specific I can be with my advice here. However, given that we know (or ought to know) the actual dates of the events and sessions that need updating, I am truly puzzled that the logic of these recipes does not seem to use that information to filter the search.

But perhaps you could, for example, add an extra step before the current step 2, to get the session from Docebo, and then you’d have the start/end dates you’re looking for? I would certainly hope that you can use these in filtering your search. If it can filter for the past two days, I would have thought it would allow you to filter based on an absolute date range instead…

Anyway. I hope this helps. Please let us know how you get on; our organization is considering Outlook as a second connector, but this limitation would certainly dampen my enthusiasm for it, if it can’t be resolved.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve recently learned that if you update a future event in Docebo that unless the update is within 2 days of creation the recipe will stop with an error and thereby not update the Outlook calendar invite. Does anyone have a workaround for this limitation? I ideally do not want to have to duplicate the event and delete the old one which is what I have been advised to do, as this will create confusion for end users. 

@natashaparish curious why this was not mentioned during onboarding. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Agree with the comments...this isn't anything we experienced during testing...although Connect is far from perfect.