What's your experience with LinkedIn Learning? (and similar platforms)

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hello,

Currently, we’re considering integrating LinkedIn Learning into Docebo to get some content from them. I would be very much interested in getting to know your experience with LinkedIn Learning (or similar course providers).

• Do your users like it?
  • Is it easy to implement and manage?
  • After implementing it on Docebo, is it possible to put it inside of a Learning Plan
  • After implementing, is it possible to add a survey / test or any other additional training materials at the end?
  • Is the pricing model acceptable for you?
  • Any other tips before we make our decision? :slight_smile:

All feedback appreciated!

14 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

I can’t answer all of your questions, but I can tell you that LinkedIn Learning is very popular at our institution.  

A few tips that we have learned from experience:

• The full library of courses available is immense.  Huge.  Super-big.  It can be helpful to set up some catalogs to highlight subject matter that may be of particular interest to your userbase.  For example, in the early pandemic days, we set up a catalog that covered topics related to working from home.  
  • Yes, you can put the courses into learning plans.  They work just like any other course.
  • Make sure your settings are right before you bring in the courses.  Ours got imported with the “Play Inline” setting and we are having to get Docebo to bulk update them for us (for an extra fee).
Userlevel 3
Badge

We are not using LinkedIn learning, but we purchased 150 of Docebo’s content and are planning to go to the unlimited option in July (around 80k courses).  Docebo’s content goes through a company called go1 who we’ve been really pleased with- their CSM has been very knowledgeable.  

• Do your users like it?
    • We are launching in July, but feedback so far  has been positive.
  • Is it easy to implement and manage? 
    • Yes, the go1 team is incredible
  • After implementing it on Docebo, is it possible to put it inside of a Learning Plan
    • Yes
  • After implementing, is it possible to add a survey / test or any other additional training materials at the end?
    • yes
Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Great question, @abartunek

I have very little to add to other Community members have articulated above. There’s a lot of excellent material in LinkedIn Learning and Docebo Content. Provided you can find high-quality content that meets your learning needs, you’re probably going to save a lot of money and potentially get a better learning product than you would if you developed that training in-house. A recent LinkedIn survey found about 70% of learning content creators depend on externally-created content, so you’re far from alone if you go that route. And in our platform, you can organize these courses in all the same ways you would if you had created the training yourself. (Just watch the settings, as others have pointed out). 

My impression is that the companies who leverage LIL and DC well are those that deploy it for the more generalized needs, and create their own content for more institution/use case-specific needs.

Best of luck! I’ll be interested to see what other customers do with third-party course content in their platforms. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks @jdclark2 and @shegarty a lot for your answers and tips! It really sounds like an easy and good solution. Also thanks @ryan.woods for confirming that the content can be organized just like any other.

If there’s anybody else who would like to add to that, of course you are most welcome to :slight_smile: I would also be happy to read more about your opinions and perhaps about some other course providers as well.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Great question, @abartunek

My impression is that the companies who leverage LIL and DC well are those that deploy it for the more generalized needs, and create their own content for more institution/use case-specific needs.

This is exactly what we do.  LinkedIn Learning gives us broad coverage on lots of topics, but we use home-grown content for things that are specific to our environment.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello everyone:

I have just joined the community.  It’s great to be here and I look forward to engaging with you.  We implemented LiL when we launched Docebo.  The biggest issue we had was reporting, which has since been fixed.  Our firm is keen on number of hours spent learning since our staff is billable.  We found that the hours tracked on the personal summary screen in Docebo were inaccurate.  After months of research (ours and Docebo’s) the issue has been resolved.  When implementing, be sure to test the tracking of completed courses.  We import courses from LiL to Docebo via the content marketplace and then add them to the appropriate catalog.  To date we have approximately 300 of the 30K plus LiL courses imported into our Docebo.  I recommend having users test enrolling in an imported course via your Docebo platform.  Have them start and stop the course along the way to completion.  Have them leave the active tab that houses the course.  Once finished (and after the nightly refresh of the platform) check to see if the amount of time they spent taking the course is accurate in the Docebo Personal Summary screen.  Also, check to see that the course is listed as “completed” not “in-progress”.  The user has to fully complete the course and receive the “Congratulations!  You’ve completed the course” message to receive accurate tracking.   

Our users became aware of the situation when they noticed the disparity in time spent learning and time tracked in Docebo.  Like I said, Docebo took care of the issue and learning tracked correctly...until this week.  Sooo, we will start again to determine why this is happening.   More to come.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Steven Patterson, thanks for all the tips. Sounds tricky with the time tracking issue. If we decide to go with LiL, we’ll definitely keep an eye on that. Amazing that you’ve imported 300 courses from LiL already - that’s a lot of content!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi abartunek,

We did have LinkedIn Learning on our platform, however, since we have internal employees and external agents, our platform was not all SSO (only the internal employees were). So we had to upload our users to LinkedIn so they were recognized when they launched a course in the platform they had to log on to LinkedIn first before the course would launch. If the user was active with the LinkedIn courses, they only had to do this once, but if the user was not active with LinkedIn courses, the user had to do this every 3 months. However, it did work and our employees did like the LinkedIn courses we had on our platform. However, when our license came back for renewal, LinkedIn said they would not renew our contract for internal employees and external agents. We would have to have two separate licenses and you cannot link two separate license integration into Docebo through the Marketplace. 

So we searched around and spoke with several other course providers and tested them with our platform and that is when in January 2021, we signed up with Docebo (Go1) Content

I hope this helps!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi abartunek,

We did have LinkedIn Learning on our platform, however, since we have internal employees and external agents, our platform was not all SSO (only the internal employees were). So we had to upload our users to LinkedIn so they were recognized when they launched a course in the platform they had to log on to LinkedIn first before the course would launch. If the user was active with the LinkedIn courses, they only had to do this once, but if the user was not active with LinkedIn courses, the user had to do this every 3 months. However, it did work and our employees did like the LinkedIn courses we had on our platform. However, when our license came back for renewal, LinkedIn said they would not renew our contract for internal employees and external agents. We would have to have two separate licenses and you cannot link two separate license integration into Docebo through the Marketplace. 

So we searched around and spoke with several other course providers and tested them with our platform and that is when in January 2021, we signed up with Docebo (Go1) Content

I hope this helps!

Hi abartunek,

I hope this helps!

We’ve had similar problems with our SSO because a small number of our user base don’t have Office 365.  The content is great, but we’ve had a lot of problems getting this sub set of users access to the content.

Userlevel 5

To date we have approximately 300 of the 30K plus LiL courses imported into our Docebo.

Hi, everyone!

I’m onboarding right now and have a question about this. We have a LinkedIn Learning Pro subscription and currently import every single LiL course into our (old) LMS. We only have enough licenses for about 40% of our staff. I’m wondering:

1. How did you get 300 courses into Docebo, @Steven Patterson? It appeared from the course import in the Content Marketplace that I could only import 50. I’m pretty sure my company wants all the English courses available, along with anything new LiL publishes.
  2. How do you deal with the license allocation when there isn’t a license for each person on staff? If they don’t already have a license assigned to them, what does it look like on-screen? If they try to claim a license and all are used, what does that look like?

Thanks!!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @JenWadsworth .  We imported the courses through the content marketplace.  It was super easy.  To my knowledge there have not been limits set for how many courses you can import.  You might ask in the Docebo Help Desk chat to be certain.   

For your license question.  We have never gone over on our licenses.  We have 501.  My understanding from Docebo is that all 501 users would need to be actively in the platform at the same time for this to have an impact.  We have never had more than 150 users in the platform at the same time so it’s never been an issue.   

Hope this helps a bit.   

Steven

Userlevel 3
Badge

We added LinkedIn Learning earlier this year and we have a had a great experience.  When we got stuck, they were very responsive and knowledgeable to make sure we found the best solution for our company.  A big factor for us was the number of courses available in various languages.  

If I can recommend anything, plan more time than you think you’ll need during the initial setup.  Maybe this was self-inflicted but we went from no internal LMS to Docebo + LinkedIn Learning :nerd: At the beginning, we spent a lot of time with our managers to hand-select courses and organize them with course catalogs in Docebo if effort to ‘recommend courses’ directly from the dashboard.  Only super-admins can import courses from the Content Marketplace and it was all-hands-on-deck to import everything. (1195 courses to be exact.)

I would love to hear more about why you are thinking about using Learning Plans?  My first thought is that some of the LinkedIn Learning courses are already organized in ‘Learning Paths’ so some of the work might be done for you!

Good luck and feel free to let me know if you have any questions.   

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

We added LinkedIn Learning earlier this year and we have a had a great experience.  When we got stuck, they were very responsive and knowledgeable to make sure we found the best solution for our company.  A big factor for us was the number of courses available in various languages.  

If I can recommend anything, plan more time than you think you’ll need during the initial setup.  Maybe this was self-inflicted but we went from no internal LMS to Docebo + LinkedIn Learning :nerd: At the beginning, we spent a lot of time with our managers to hand-select courses and organize them with course catalogs in Docebo if effort to ‘recommend courses’ directly from the dashboard.  Only super-admins can import courses from the Content Marketplace and it was all-hands-on-deck to import everything. (1195 courses to be exact.)

Hi everyone we have done a subscription with Docebo Content and its daunting count of 65K pieces of content are at a level of disposal to us. But I will admit to you we are starting off with a very tight custody with these courses. I am at an organization that is taking its first baby steps in the space of learning management and can only slowly build out a learning culture as a training culture is deep in its operations.
Think of it like a library and you are the librarian...it is not as effective to throw thousands of books on the shelves because you can. In the beginning - It is better to curate your selections into learning paths / learning plans to deliver programs when you are just growing out. You bring a younger person to the childrens section as they come into a library. You dont want them necessarily in the medical journal stacks just because they can be there.

My point? I would assert that folks may or may not get hungrier at your organization for that learning culture and you may never be able to wrap your hands around it by opening the doors so broadly.

Eventually as a learning leader? You will need to show metrics to sustain the use of the subscription/content plan. @designessa 1000+ courses may reflect aspects of superadmins being driven by their own agendas to satisfy their internal customers. But are they satisfying the needs of the organization first? Could a slimmer use case be developed to deploy to targets and then show the growth of that specific audience (a leadership program, a program for customer service, etc) with the compelling argument that we tried it once? And here was the level of adoption and here are the results.

Consider that it is to your benefit to follow some key points when curating:

• Aggregate the content (and content aggregators like Go1 and other partners like OpenSesame are great at this) into a playlist that you can review. Many partners will do an aggregation to start you in the right direction as part of their services.
  • Filter dont bring it all in, just the content for your program is relevant. Maybe at most a layer of follow up material.
  • Organize - think about that library - dont just put books on a shelf. Call it a learning series, a blank and deploy within a sequence of learning.
  • Contextualize - um if a course is in your system and it has no context for the learner at the workplace? Then you may want to book end some further detail about the course with resources internal to the organization. “Want to learn more about PowerBI? Did you know that we have a PowerBI at your disposal? Learn more from….you get the drift”.
  • Share - Talk about that learning program with people that can deploy it. Use your internal methods of connecting with people that the learning program is available to foster usage.
  • Feedback - It is one thing to put out a learning program, it is another to get effective feedback about it and being able to tweak and improve on that deployment. A short survey form can go a long way.

I do want to add, some organizations are seriously mature in this space and are all in to buying mega-libraries of content because they can measure the impact and learning is highly encouraged as part of the culture. But that is reflecting an approach for an organization that has the capacity for that to happen.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

For anyone reading along, we’ve run into a problem with the LinkedIn Learning content that has not yet been resolved. Our platform is in English and French Canadian, but the LinkedIn Learning courses apparently need French to be activated to appear in the central repository. Shifting to a new “language” would be a major hassle for us. This is a new problem but I wanted to leave this note here as something to keep in mind if you’re in a similar position.