Skip to main content

A general question - we are being mandated to track the why “a something happened” inside of the learning system. We supplied an audit (from the audit trail) from the learning system, but it is not something that is part of a learners profile and may be missed as part of other audits. Other systems that we have worked with in the past support adding a note to a persons profile as a type of light learning object. It was meant to not burden the administrator with needing to keep adding an additional field to reporting but was something that could be recalled on a user level - where this will probably be used the most - and not as part of their user data.

In light of that learning object not really being available, I know I am talking myself into adding a field.

Just checking - has anyone gone down this path? How did you implement????    

@dklinger Hiya … so we’ve got 3 approaches that we use, and we’re never consistent with which we use for what 🤣, but overall they seem to work most of the time.

1. An empty course shell. We’ve set up shells that have titles like “Equivalent to xyz” … this lets us put an ‘event’ on their user record with a completed status and a date. The titles can be anything really, and if the user can see their full profile or their completed courses, then they can see what we did. We’ve taken this into the API realm and have configured an environment in Insomnia (similar to Postman), that lists courses IDs, LP IDs, etc. so we can do some of these type of activities a bit easier.
  2. A drop-down additional field. We use these fields as part of our usual post-training operations, with standardized events. Sometimes we add a specific event.
  3. A wiki journal. Outside of the LMS and accessible only to SuperAdmins we created a timeline of when significant events happen...like today I’m retiring about 4K+ accounts that haven’t been accessed in over a year. I’ll make a journal entry, and even probably upload my .csv used to retire the accounts. Just gives us a contextual “paper trail” for troubleshooting accounts in the future.