I’ve been looking through the forums, and while we’ve been discussing splitting platforms, I haven’t found any thread on the opposite topic: merging platforms.
My company is currently going through a merger, and this also means merging the e-learning platforms. Our platform is used by end customers, resellers and internal employees, the other environment by end customers with a focus on certification.
These are the key challenges I currently see:
- Merging the users, ideally keeping learning and certification records intact
- Merging user authentication methods (we currently have 4 different ways that people can log in)
- Creating re-directs as content will have new URLs
- Moving content from one platform to another (also an opportunity to review and prune existing content)
- Recreating pages and creating a new unified user experience that doesn’t alienate existing users
Has anyone of you merged two LMS? Not necessarily because of company merger but consolidating multiple LMS within a company? How did you solve the challenges listed above? What other challenges did you encounter? And how long did it take you?