Ideas and alternative tools for building course content

• 21 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi everyone,

We’re about 6 months into our journey with Docebo, and we are starting to onboard other Power Users in the organization who will be responsible for building department-specific content for segments of our learner population.

Within our L&D team (2 people) we have subscriptions to Articulate 360 and build most of our courses using Rise. The cost is about $1400/user annually.

We want to empower our other Power User content authors to own their content and build/publish it themselves (because my team isn’t built to handle every request) but we can’t afford Articulate licenses for everyone (though a couple teams have invested). Further, while we have Shape, it can sometimes pose a learning curve or barrier to creating content beyond the limitations of Shape. I’ve demo’d how Power Users should think about a course as being able to contain all different types of Training Materials, but I still feel like there’s more we could offer.

So my questions:

• What tools (free or paid, because low cost may not be a barrier) do you use to build content or recommend for your content Power Users?
  • What tips do you share for making the most out of things like the HTML page (which on its own is pretty blah, but I believe could be better utilized)?

We’ve looked at Gamma as a potential tool; their no-code builder can have a PDF export or an embed for HTML. Keen to hear any and all recommendations or advice!

Thank you,

Ryan

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@ryanreichertestes If your Power Users aren’t normal developers (who can think in layers, triggers, etc.) I’ve found success with having them create in Power Point and then I will convert the Power Point to SCORM in Storyline (Articulate is what we use).

...so while I can’t recommend another tool, I am recommending a process. I’d look for a tool that can convert .pptx into SCORM … preferably SCORM 2004 v3.

Thanks so much @KMallette! Very good recommendation that we’ll keep in mind if we need to take on more of the work within our team (something I’m trying to avoid haha). It very well could be a much faster alternative than doing rounds of edits in Rise. Appreciate your answer!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@ryanreichertestes- take a look at a few near freebies for content (course building):

• EasyGenerator > It starts off in the freemium category. At the very least they can kick off a trial and work with the account for 7 days...after that? It does come at a cost - that can be reasonable. Literally drag and drop...that easy - for building content
  • If you need to lean into just free - there is a great freebie that is based on the work of h5p (it is called Lumi Desktop) that exports to a SCORM wrapper.

There are others that are out there - but you may get stuck with the freemium category of content builders with some level of branding restrictions - content will have some level of watermarking or branding from the authoring platform associated with it - but DM me if you want to learn some more about the few others we have tried out. Your shop sounds like our shop - and federated models can work well with Docebo.