Maybe yawl know this already - report naming conventions to avoid

• 8 August 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Maybe someone will learn from this travel.

For the first time, I got an error back that a file may be corrupt and was going to be repaired from a Docebo custom report. I paused to consider what I was doing differently. The only thing that I could think of is the “/” made Excel uphappy.

“IT - Jira and MS Exchange / Teams Training”

Was truncated to _Teams_Training in the .zip file.

The lesson? Maybe? Don’t use “/” in your naming convention with reports.

Are there other special characters we should be avoiding?
When should we be avoiding them? With what operation???

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I always avoid symbols and spaces in my naming conventions. Always.

I always camel case.

I might do something like this for example.

jiraExchangeTeamsTraining

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Camelcase or underscore/hyphens only and always. The world has gotten very sloppy with these kinds of things (periods! I can’t believe when I see periods in names, period defines the file extension….) all kinds of systems have error potentials when those types of things are in the name.

Generally I use hyphens to declare sections of name, and camelcase to define specifics, so like if it was something like ‘Module-FileName-VersionNumber’ keeps it very clear on where things belong in comparision to each other. I often will do underscore instead of camelcase there too, like ‘Module-File_Name-Version_Number’

with report names this come in super handy as you can have naming conventions across users and groups too to help with cleanup.

oh and dates, always do same format too and typically do the ddmmyyyy format of 8 digits as a block.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Agree, underscores are your best friend...+ using the description line is also very useful.