Resetting learner progress when they reach a maximum number of attempts

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am seeking the communities input on the following scenario. I am open to your thoughts, suggestions, best practice considerations, or other helpful ideas.

We recently assigned a course with two training materials. The 1st item was a SCORM package created in iSpring, and the 2nd came in the form of a Docebo test. 

We assigned the course to employees with a course limitation of three attempts (Advanced Settings > Details > Maximum Number of Attempts). 

As soon as we enrolled employees, reports came in that some had failed the quiz three times and were locked out. While I know that I can reset the progress for the quiz, I discovered that doing so appears to wipe out their previous attempt history and their item responses. We are hoping to hold on to the latter as we need to review and provide future education based on specific response trends that we have seen.

• How have you handled building tests with a cap on the number of attempts? 
  • Is there a way to save their historical data as part of the reset process? 

Bfarkas 1 year ago

@brandonmaldonado totally get it, doing the random select helps mitigate some of those issues anyways even if you want to have limit on attempts. Another route is to essentially make a ‘Retake Course” and add the test to it, if folks hit the limit, don’t remove their previous tries, leave them alone, then enroll them in the retake version which records their history there too. Set up credit between the two takes care of completing the original course as well. Still strongly reccomend thinking through the purpose of the restrictions and are those behaviors actually being impacted.

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Question: if you are resting anyways, what is the purpose of the limit?

I’d think you could start exporting the history before resetting but then you’re gonna need a good method to hold all of that info centrally/usably.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I should have mentioned that the limit came at the request of our leadership. Leaders did not want employees to run through the test multiple times until they eventually guessed all the correct answers.

In my head, I’m hoping for a solution that allows us to implement the attempt limitation restriction and retain the historical data after a reset. Before the reset, we would encourage each employee to review the education for a second time. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@brandonmaldonado - hey hey 🙂. So we have played a similar game for a long time.

Can I recommend - go out to SCORM for the quiz as well? SCORM will collect the answers no matter what with SCORM 2004. I know it is not a perfect story.

I am living some of the same today - and I am having folks taking a dive at their workflows. Where the reset helps when folks are deeply engaged in the education of their staff - I am chatting people through - but does it really…because in the end? I had customers in the past gig literally change their mind afterward after I gave them the ability to monitor and reset staff.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The other option is to point out that if you are just re-allowing them to take again they could still just continue guessing. In my faculty support days used to talk about building better tests rather than worrying about the cheaters (Long story short, people who want to cheat will). As an alternative since their concern is guessers, maybe creating double or tripple the questions and then having the test show randomly x number of them and rotates answers on each question as well that way it is far unlikely and far more effort than just actually taking the test to get through with those settings in place.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@dklinger  I tested a SCORM quiz, and I don’t get the same data fields within the course’s report tool. Fields like username, first and last, and so are missing.

@Bfarkas I get what you’re saying, and I’m honestly not a fan of unlimited attempts. There has to be an opportunity to spiral back or honestly review the material at some point. I guess what I’m asking for is the best of both worlds. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@brandonmaldonado totally get it, doing the random select helps mitigate some of those issues anyways even if you want to have limit on attempts. Another route is to essentially make a ‘Retake Course” and add the test to it, if folks hit the limit, don’t remove their previous tries, leave them alone, then enroll them in the retake version which records their history there too. Set up credit between the two takes care of completing the original course as well. Still strongly reccomend thinking through the purpose of the restrictions and are those behaviors actually being impacted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Can I recommend - go out to SCORM for the quiz as well? SCORM will collect the answers no matter what with SCORM 2004. I know it is not a perfect story.

@dklinger I have often wondered about this … can you recommend any resources that describe how SCORM 2004 provides question-level info back to the LMS? And then what type of report would you create to extract that info?

Regards,

KM

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@KMallette- so you can get that level of detail from the course management - pulling up a course and then work with the visual walkthrough below.

Answers breakdown

(Sorry about the multiple edits….)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@KMallette - last note and this is probably the important one? You want to configure your SCO to actually send along those CMI responses. I hate to sound theoretical, but….

Today - more than ever before we can trigger completions in different ways - so (I believe) you want to make sure that you are tying into your authoring tools “quizzing” function. Articulate and Captivate both nicely allow you to work in that mode - where you know that you are building a quiz or sending along quiz questions as they impact a completion score...I cant speak for orther authoring tools and their level of CMI interactions with the system.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I struggle with this aswell. I would love to be able to reset the restricted number of views WITHOUT losing the progress of previous test-data to provide feedback/salvage the history and progress of the learner. 

Userlevel 2

I find that a lot of learners have test anxiety, including myself. I know the material, but I just don’t like test/quizzes period. So I always take that into consideration and I always allow unlimited tries. I totally understand if that’s not possible and you need to give limits, but maybe give the learners 4 or 5 tries? I hope this helps.