Question

SCORM 2004 package include non-linear sequencing.

• 29 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 5

Hello!

I’m onboarding and loading SCORM file from a vendor. I received this message while loading a course:

Can anyone tell me what the learner experience will be if I use this course anyway? It’s a vendor course, so I can’t edit it. But I’m curious about what the learn might miss out on because of the error.

Thanks!

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

HI @JenWadsworth yes I've been getting this message with SCORM packages that run with an up & down scroll motion. So far I haven’t seen anything detrimental effects but may be worth asking support what this means exactly (been meaning to do that myself). 

As always, test, test, test to make sure your courses run, track and bookmark as expected. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I am by far not a SCORM expert.

But I do know who are.

But here I go. The SCORM 1.2 and 2004 spec allows you to packages of SCOs into a “class” so that you can have multiple SCOs that will happen in a certain sequence. SCORM 2004 went a step further and supported jumping from one SCO to the another SCO in a non-linear fashion allowing for decisions to happen for what the next leap to the next SCO would be.

What I love about the article above? They call out - this is anything but a simple thing to work through. I worked on a platform that supported re-packaging a SCORM class for you based on a visual designer and decision driven interface...I never touched it….

Docebo’s note to you? Is about that sequencing and how the non-linear sequencing of a multi-sco class not being supported….

Do I get marked as a correct answer?????? :grin:

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I think I’ve seen this pop up for every SCORM package I’ve ever uploaded. Since we don’t use the sequencing aspect of the SCORM 2004 protocol I just ignore it and have never had any issues.

Userlevel 5

Docebo’s note to you? Is about that sequencing and how the non-linear sequencing of a multi-sco class not being supported….

Thanks for the link! I wasn’t aware of the ability to jump SCOs. I was just hoping the error wasn’t because branching was used in the course. We use branching a lot, and it didn’t make sense to me why it would be prohibited. But I can see jumping SCOs increasing the design complexity enough to inhibit operations. So, I don’t know if the answer is correct, per se, but it seems to make sense. :grinning: Thanks!

Userlevel 3

It appears that the Docebo LMS supports SCORM 2004 3rd edition but does not support 4th Edition. You can upload your course to SCORM Cloud to see what the version is. I have a client with a similar or related issue and the course they have is loading up outside the LMS and directly from the Docebo elearning store.
I have seen another post before where is shows a list of the url’s that you may need to have whitelisted by your IT department if you are getting a blank screen.

The post is here: Learn LMS: Users are not able to play Learning Objects | Community (docebo.com)

The URL’s to whitelist are:

• cdn1.dcbstatic.com

• cdn2.dcbstatic.com

• cdn3.dcbstatic.com

• cdn4.dcbstatic.com

• cdn5.dcbstatic.com