Question

Ability to break email notifications into batches?

• 18 April 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

As many of you are aware, there is no feature in Docebo that allows us to track notifications that are sent to learners. The often-recommended solution is to put an email address in the CC box that can be found in Admin Features>Advanced Settings>Advanced Options>CC this email address for all emails sent by the platform (except for the recover password email).

We tried this and after a few hours we saw that many of the notifications were being returned to us in our email system as undeliverable. Our IT team tells us that Microsoft has a hard line set on how many emails can be sent to a shared mailbox at a time, and the number of notifications sent out by Docebo for a significant enrollment passed this amount. 

Has anyone else encountered this?

I’ve been asked to determine if there is any way in Docebo for notifications to be sent out in smaller batches. Has anyone looked into that or come up with another solution?

Thanks!

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

I used to have it so the inbox that was sending them out was copied on the outgoing messages. That was helping to have an overload like you are talking about.

I have turned that off, but I monitor that inbox. I have rules that I can run on the group inbox that will delete Out of Office notifications (wish these were standardized), and captures all of the different bounce notifications into a folder in my inbox in a bounced email folder.

I then pull a user report from the system, and I export the bounced email folder. Clean up any fields that would cause an issue (usually a link instead of an email address) and then I have a macro that merges the to spreadsheet highlighting the ones that “bounced”. 

I notify the responsible teams to address the ones that were newly created. The ones that are more than a month old often means that user no longer works for that vendor. I then deactivate those users.

It would be awesome if there were better reporting from the newsletter functionality and other outgoing services where we could see a delivered / bounced report.

It took me a while to sort out this process. But now I get through it in about 5 > 10 minutes.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thanks @dwilburn. We have a different process here, so the issue is with the server’s rules, not my mailbox contents, unfortunately.

I’m trying to determine if there’s any settings in Docebo that would help me to manage this. I think I’ll have to put in a ticket.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@JKolodner - the only one that I have found that could help is if you are CC’ing your outgoing inbox on the outgoing messages. That is in Advanced Settings > Advanced Options > the top field.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thanks, @dwilburn , but that’s what’s causing the problem in the first place 😀

Userlevel 5
Badge

That is what helped me. I removed that setting. You still know messages are going out as you get OOO notifications and such. But you are overloading the email capabilities sending out 1000 emails and copying yourself on 1000 emails at the same time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@JKolodner are you using digest notifications? 

Here’s a handy guide that breaks down how they work and what they do but they’ll help reduce the overall number of notifications sent out especially around enrollments.