Best Answer

API - Getting details of an automatic group's logic

Userlevel 5
Badge

Greetings everyone! Does anyone know how to see the logic of an automatic group in the API output?

In the API - Manage  > Group > Returns Details of a group the response schema states that the respnse will include “Type of method for user assignment: 0 for manual assignment, 1 for automatic assignment rules”.

In addition, it talks about a rules list and rule logic to be displayed along with details on other information I need.

I have many automatic groups and they all come back with similar output.

{
  "data": {
    "id": 13123,
    "name": "MOBILECOMM PROFESSIONAL INC",
    "description": "Company Code - WMM - MUSID - XXXXXXXX - Automatic Company Group",
    "assign_rules": 0,
    "members_count": 42
  },
  "version": "1.0.0",
  "_links": []
}

The output does not show any of the assignment rules or any of the automatic logic.

Scheme Details

icon

Best answer by Ian 3 October 2023, 10:01

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @dwilburn, I found this question while looking for clues myself as to how to structure an API request pertaining to groups.

This is extremely counter-intuitive in my opinion, and could be better documented and communicated by Docebo, but I think you can likely achieve what you want to achieve via the new audiences service (as opposed to the manage service, which you appear to be using here).

I’m certainly relieved to have found this myself – I was nearly ready to flip over my desk at the thought that the new group logic was not available via the API.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yup. groups is always a fun one in API world, have to balance the pros and cons of manage vs audience and sometimes merge them! Kind of annoying. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Good timing @Ian, I received a note from support (ticket has been open for a month, they thought it was a feature bug) that the API had been deprecated in move to Audiences. I had seen audiences but I didn’t know to use it instead.

If it is deprecated I am confused why it is still in the API browser.

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge

Now I need to see if I can create an automatic group with the API. I will let you know how it goes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Now I need to see if I can create an automatic group with the API. I will let you know how it goes.

You can, just managing the rule sets is very complicated at times. I often make a group on the front end UI and then see how it translates and copy to setup making others until you get a grasp of it.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Bfarkas Yea, we have a lot of groups, and I needed to automate more of this in the past, but just have not had the time. I might do something (like some of your tools) and make a “template” in excel that I can use to get copy and paste content.

I need to get through some of your demos on Postman. Seems like this would be well suited for that, but I do not have much development skills there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Bfarkas Yea, we have a lot of groups, and I needed to automate more of this in the past, but just have not had the time. I might do something (like some of your tools) and make a “template” in excel that I can use to get copy and paste content.

I need to get through some of your demos on Postman. Seems like this would be well suited for that, but I do not have much development skills there.

I’ve been thinking about some new content dedicated to groups, the tricky part with the rules is it becomes very personal to the organization so gets hard to make a generic template, but thinking about it. I do have it on the list for the community coaching sessions for sure, definitely a way to go.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Bfarkas oof, you are right, that IS a mess...sigh

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Bfarkas oof, you are right, that IS a mess...sigh

Hang in there! Once you get a feel for it, its not that bad.just definitely not the easiest of the endpoints to jump into.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Bfarkas yea, the easiest way to solve a maze is back to front.

Once I saw the mess of stuff I had to come up with I basically just took the output from another group and used that. So like you said, I would establish a “shell” for a group and just adjust specific parameters to build in the same logic as that shell. Which is what I need.