Archiving Enrollments for Compliance Courses

• 9 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Has anyone found a solid process for recording multiple completions for compliance courses (Non-LP)?

Recently, we implemented multiple completions for a course but not sure if its best practice. I'd like to see what everyone else is doing for compliance courses that need to be re-taken periodically. Our goal was to not send out notifications to users until they're actually due to take it. In this case we did the archive before anyone was due to re-take 

Our process we did first time in this order:

• Retroactively assign all completed users a 2 year certification for the compliance course
  • Created “certification expiring” notifications so the users are reminded until its their time to retake
  • Archive & Un-Enroll ALL deactivated users
  • Archive & Re-Enroll the rest of the users (enrollment notification dsiabled so users wont get a notification that theyve been enrolled, we are relying on the certification expiring reminders)
  • Update Training Material (2023 version)
  • Change the name of the course (Our courses have a year in the title so we know what version the user took) This has to be done last because archiving will save the title of the course at the time of the archival which is why I had to archive ALL enrollments at once.

We would like to also try this without certifications eventually but seems like there's more manual work. What has worked for your team? I would love to hear your experiences with Archiving for multiple completions.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

we were going down a similar road but have opted to wait a little while longer to se more improvements to archiving. Right now we are only advocating the use of archiving mostly for ILT courses where there are repeating sessions of the same course (or monthly, quarterly type training) and using it in case of technical course issues (to reset the user but maintain the old progress record) as well as in cases where a course has an exam with a limited number of attempts and the user has exhausted all attempts; this way we can maintain the “failed” record and allow them to re-take the test another time.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Has anyone found a solid process for recording multiple completions for compliance courses (Non-LP)?

Recently, we implemented multiple completions for a course but not sure if its best practice. I'd like to see what everyone else is doing for compliance courses that need to be re-taken periodically. Our goal was to not send out notifications to users until they're actually due to take it. In this case we did the archive before anyone was due to re-take 

• Retroactively assign all completed users a 2 year certification for the compliance course
  • Created “certification expiring” notifications so the users are reminded until its their time to retake
  • Archive & Re-Enroll the rest of the users (enrollment notification dsiabled so users wont get a notification that theyve been enrolled, we are relying on the certification expiring reminders)
  • Change the name of the course (Our courses have a year in the title so we know what version the user took) This has to be done last because archiving will save the title of the course at the time of the archival which is why I had to archive ALL enrollments at once.

We would like to also try this without certifications eventually but seems like there's more manual work. What has worked for your team? I would love to hear your experiences with Archiving for multiple completions.

I’ve been in the same situation. However, I’m wondering the purpose of using the Archive and Re-enroll option (step 4) when you actually have a certification expiration notification.

Once the learner receives the certificate expiry notification, they can renew themselves by retaking the content (I agree, sometimes content gets updated) again.

If the content is revised, I usually gray out the old content and load the latest one before the certificate expires. If it's normal e-learning, then I follow the archive and re-enroll option to view the latest content.

We can use central repository to push revised content, but so far, we didn’t implement fully and it's in our road map.

I've followed the same process to manage the year at the end of each course title.

I’ve been in the same situation. However, I’m wondering the purpose of using the Archive and Re-enroll option (step 4) when you actually have a certification expiration notification.

Once the learner receives the certificate expiry notification, they can renew themselves by retaking the content (I agree, sometimes content gets updated) again.

If the content is revised, I usually gray out the old content and load the latest one before the certificate expires. If it's normal e-learning, then I follow the archive and re-enroll option to view the latest content.

We can use central repository to push revised content, but so far, we didn’t implement fully and it's in our road map.

I've followed the same process to manage the year at the end of each course title.

In this case, I re-enrolled because this is a mandatory compliance course and it is imperative that the users retake within 2 years. Certification was not really needed but I did so to keep track of the 2 year mark each user needs to re-take the course in. Everyone's certificate expires at around different times of the year.

we were going down a similar road but have opted to wait a little while longer to se more improvements to archiving. Right now we are only advocating the use of archiving mostly for ILT courses where there are repeating sessions of the same course (or monthly, quarterly type training) and using it in case of technical course issues (to reset the user but maintain the old progress record) as well as in cases where a course has an exam with a limited number of attempts and the user has exhausted all attempts; this way we can maintain the “failed” record and allow them to re-take the test another time.

Thank you for sharing. We have not tried for ILT, I hope Docebo does continue to make improvements.