Automate branch assignment

• 6 March 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hello community,

I’m wondering if anyone has a creative way to automate the branch assignment?

Today, we have several branches and we do a manual assignment depending on different criteria.

Is anyone else using the automation app for this? 

Thanks!

Rosalie

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

In the Automation app,, you can set-up a default branch or add both the Branch Name and Branch code columns in your user import. Not sure the automation app would work based on specific user attributes though as it only works during the user profile creation process.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello @Rosalie 

What I did was the following

1. I created a group to identify each branch.  Users to be added to the group, I added a new custom field to identify each different group-branch
  2. Enrollement rule.  Once the user belongs to a group, you can create the enrollemnt rule ( based on a group) and add hin the corresponding branch and courses if necessary 

hope this helps!! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @lrnlab  @Isram 

Thanks a lot for your replies.

The challenge that I face is that my learners use a SSO for log in. When they create their account they just fill out just a few details of them. This is something that I cannot ask to change since it is shared with other internal applications. 

When users log in the system they are placed by default in one branch. However, depending on the inputs they include in certain user additional fields then I have to move them manually to a different branch. 

I think that the automation app can help me with this manual process by combining two actions: Export the CSV file and then move them to a specific branch. But I’m still trying to figure out how.

The easiest way would be to have in the automation app a trigger that if certain conditions are met then move users to a branch the same way we have the enrollment rule as you described @Isram 

If I find the way to do it I will certainly share it to you :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

An interesting problem. Others have faced it too.

If you can automate a report out of A to be scooped up by the automation app and regularly consumed at B to do said mapping? Then you are cooking.

I do think you are going to run into a challenge though - with an experience that can be out of sync if the mapping is not before the login or instantaneous.

I am not necessarily following @Isram , but you maybe able to do a circular flow with his suggestion - a report out of Docebo to be consumed by Docebo and map the person to said branch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Rosalie had a look at the Automation rules and cannot find anything specific that would allow you automate the process. As @dklinger mentions, if you can export the data to CSV then you could schedule a job to run that would place your users in their proper branches however this can also be done manually using the user CSV import. That might be your best bet rathe than dong each user manually. Just add the user name + the branch name + branch code. If you’re on a newer instance, users can only be in 1 branch at a time, so they will likely be moved. If you have been a customer for a longer time, this might just add them to a 2nd branch - so watch for that...make sure this setting is ON

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I agree, your problem will be resolved using automation app. You will need to assign which field to use to map with your Branch Code. In the report, you will need to have two columns for the same field that you wish to map for your Branch Code, one column will update your Data Field and the other one will map to your Branch Code. Once the username from your feed matches in the system, then users can successfully log-in and data are updated.

For external users, we added instructions in their page to reach out to their POC to get their Branch Code, so they will enter the correct Branch Code and will be assigned to the correct Branch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

just adding to @jlreonal comments..in order to place a user in a branch, you need BOTH the branch CODE + the Branch NAME...you cannot just use 1 of these.