Best Answer

Average user time in course

• 11 January 2024
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Is there a way to run a report to find the average time taken for users to complete a course.  I need to devise a cost analysis per course.  Thanks

icon

Best answer by KMallette 11 January 2024, 21:15

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Suzy_q Have you tried the New Report Users > Course Enrollment Time?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @KMallette thanks for your advice.  I have tried to run this report but it only provides a course duration of 3600.  What does this number even mean, I would expect course duration to show a varied completion time for users?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Suzy_q Humm… when I look at a preview of a User > Course Enrollment Time, I don’t see a course duration column. I see Days Left, which is the number of days left in any enrollment period you’ve given a course. I realize now that I’ve mis-directed you.  I apologize.

Since I’m not sure where you’re seeing the course duration information, I’ll guess that number represents the average number of SECONDS users have had the course open, as in they are working on it. Unfortunately, a user can walk away from an open course and the time they are inactive does roll up into the calculations of how long they are in a course.

If you want a report for either an individual course, or an individual person, use a Users > Course report, and under the View Options tab find Usage Statistics.  Check the box for “Training Material Time”.  If you build a report for multiple users and multiple courses (all in one report) you’ll get one line for each user for each course, so that may be too much data for a single report. Typically I do one course, many people.

The results should show a list of users and a time (again, in SECONDS). As part of your analysis, I’d recommend that you take the MEAN value of the time so that you can get rid of the outliers who have left a course open without any activity.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thank you so much @KMallette.  It is 4am my time and I couldnt sleep thinking there must be a way to do this.  Have a great day :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thank you so much @KMallette.  It is 4am my time and I couldnt sleep thinking there must be a way to do this.  Have a great day :)

I’ve been there… I recommend some chamomile tea 😉