Best Practices - Moderated Self-Registration

• 8 February 2024
  • 1 reply

Looking for some best practices regarding the setup and use of moderated self registration! Thank you in advance for your help!!

The Situation: My team currently manages registrations manually for all of our internal and external users as an ‘add on’ to their day jobs. It is taking us hours every week to manage registering users and we’ve got to make this process more efficient!

The Background: Our external users come from hundreds of vendors who partner with our customers, as well as our customers themselves. These vendors often don’t provide company-issued emails to all of their staff. We require all staff from these vendors who partner with us to take some introductory eLearning coursework as a condition of their partnership. 

The Assessment: Some form of self-registration is something I know we need to help us automate this process. I think our users would also really appreciate a more real-time process. However, because we work with so many different vendors AND our system houses proprietary content, I am struggling with a final decision. I spent some time exploring my options but feel like the knowledge base articles I’ve read have not really answered all of my questions about potential pitfalls or considerations.

The Recommendation: This is where I need your help 😀. The recommendation I’ve received so far is to use moderated self-registration so my team has control over who can access our proprietary training. While I think I agree with this, as stated above, we work with some external users who don’t even have company-issued emails, so we won’t be looking for external emails as a barrier here.

I’d be curious to know what issues folks have run into with moderated self-registration and how I could prevent them. For example, I’ve seen great articles about how users get emails after they register, but then can’t log in because they haven’t been approved yet (we’ll need to prevent that) and have seen that rejection notifications do not yet exist in the platform. What else could I be missing? 

Thanks in advance!

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@TKendall There is an option is self-registration that allow you to distribute a code to be used during the process. This might be your answer.

I used this approach with a different LMS, and it did work well. We used a schema of codes for the various partners, and could tie the number to the orgchart, LPs, etc. The challenge was getting it communicated to the partners.

You mentioned proprietary content.  Perhaps a code schema could be based on some type of contract number. You would use that number as the branch code