Calendar modifications

• 14 September 2022
  • 6 replies

Looked through the community and some great ideas for modifying the calendar on the home page.  The one thing I don't like is that there are no date ranges for creating an event, which leaves blocks on the calendar. I want to clean up the calendar and instead of just having days that have a single block in them, I would like one single line that goes through that week.  Has anyone done this before thanks?     

6 replies

@gstager  Have you done this before? thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yeah, I built a completely new calendar that gets iframed in and uses the API to get the data hourly. In processing the API, if there is a session with multiple events it replaces the date time info for the calendar to be the start time of event 1 and the end time of the last event, which then automatically becomes mapped as a block.

Works well, but the multiple days have to be events of the same session.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@nathan.hacker - I have not attempted that.

Knowing what I do about the general construction of the calendar - if it is possible with CSS alone - it does strike me as a task that would fall on the more complicated end of the spectrum.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@nathan.hacker - I have not attempted that.

Knowing what I do about the general construction of the calendar - if it is possible with CSS alone - it does strike me as a task that would fall on the more complicated end of the spectrum.

I’d be astounded if could be done CSS alone, just by the nature of the calendar, since you would need to be able to have it identify events to merge, and how they layout, and vary by users….

@Bfarkas  I like the idea of the iframe, but we are using the calendar for our ILTs using the catalog option.  Allowing people to purchase the ILTs through that. Not sure if the Iframe would work that way. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Bfarkas  I like the idea of the iframe, but we are using the calendar for our ILTs using the catalog option.  Allowing people to purchase the ILTs through that. Not sure if the Iframe would work that way. 

So in the iframe, I form the links to redirect users to the session for enrollment (except for when it is full, then it says it is is full and provides no link) Is the catalog to purchase link predictable? Could shift to that too.